Noel Kelly

Servicing life jackets.
« on: 10/03/2012 at 21:09 »
New season fast approaching and want to get my flotation devices in a serviceable condition.

Is this something I can safely do myself or should I get professionals to do it for me?

I have a collar type life vest and an airflo wavehopper floatation waistcoat.

Advice welcome.

Barry Robertson

Re: Servicing life jackets.
« Reply #1 on: 10/03/2012 at 21:30 »
Be intresting to see what feedback you get Noel as i also have the same kind of kit  :!
I wonder how often it should be checked  ???

Noel Kelly

« Reply #2 on: 10/03/2012 at 21:41 »
Been looking online and full service every year seems to be the minimum! Quick check every time you wear it is recommended. Basically to be sure it didn't trigger while in storage. This is for auto inflate. I used have mine checked by a bloke who services survival gear for offshore but don't have that contact anymore.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 10/03/2012 at 22:27 »
Speak to Hamish at YMCA Inverness, he'll sort it for you but I think most chandlers do it.

Cheers

Ben

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 10/03/2012 at 23:42 »
Most life jackets will have a service 'schedule' on a tag next to the CO2 cartridge, servicing is best done to the manufacturers recommended schedule or failing that annually.
Auto-inflate life jackets add another service item into the mix, the part that triggers the auto inflate. This goes out of date and must be changed as prescribed.
As Ben says, most chandlers either offer the service or will arrange it for you.
I can help point folk in the right direction, drop me a PM.
H :z3

Euan Innes

« Reply #5 on: 11/03/2012 at 00:07 »
Y MCA, he service you at he
Y MCA-A
You'll getta good blow from a guy that you know
At the Y MCA...

:z7 :z7 :z7

Seriously, what H said. Better to check and pull the cord before the season starts than to need it and be tugging on a cord for no reason. It's become and end of season ritual for me.

Cue jokes about blowing off in October....

:z1

machar

« Reply #6 on: 11/03/2012 at 12:49 »
My son runs a company selling and servicing life jackets and dive /  immersion suits in Aberdeen. He has done jackets for most of the major Dee beats and for the river boards and trusts. I know he offers this at recreational not commercial prices and offers a small discount for local anglers who can deliver and collect, as this saves the time of organising a courier to collect or return them.
 I don’t personally know all the details, and he is away at the  moment, but will be back on Monday. He can be contacted at admin@morrison-marine.co.uk Additional details can be found at his web site  http://www.morrison-marine.co.uk/. I will get him to post any offers etc on hs return if thats appropriate

Ben Dixon

« Reply #7 on: 11/03/2012 at 13:34 »
Thanks Iain,

If your son has any business cards please send some out to the shop in Banchory as I frequently get asked about places that services vests.

Cheers

Ben

Noel Kelly

« Reply #8 on: 11/03/2012 at 15:12 »
Great stuff guys :z16

machar

« Reply #9 on: 11/03/2012 at 18:12 »
Hi Ben

Yes he has  business cards, leaflets and posters I'll drop some cards in next time I am passing, thanks

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 11/03/2012 at 18:15 »
Great stuff :z16

Best wishes
Mike

morrisonmarine

« Reply #11 on: 13/03/2012 at 13:15 »
Hi Guys,

Initially I would confirm nearly all manufacturers recommend an annual service as best practice, as some of the previous posts have referred to especially in regard to the firing mechanisms on automatic jackets. If it is of benefit to members of the Forum I am willing to offer a 15% discount on the stated charges on my website across the board.

As for the actual service, it includes a thorough check of the webbing/straps, 24 hour inflation test, inspection of the automatic salt cartridge, if appropriate, weighing and inspection of the C02 tank, testing the firing pin, and washing the jacket with a mild detergent to get rid of the worst of the mildew/grime. This is standard procedure for the vast majority of brands. I would then email a report to you before proceeding further

The basic cost is £16 per jacket, less the proposed discount, and if the C02 or bobbin need replaced we can do this after consultation with you as that cost depends on the type of jacket. Delivery and collection can be arranged by Fedex courier if required but contact me first for details as the cost varies considerably depending on your location.
The turnaround time for a service is usually about a week or so, but if you are in a rush we would obviously try and get it done in a shorter time for you. 

If anyone needs any further information feel free to contact me at admin@morrison-marine.co.uk, visit www.morrison-marine.co.uk, on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/morrison-marine/354900147859246 or twitter https://twitter.com/#!/MorrisonMarine or even by good old fashioned phone at 07852251361. If you do send anything for servicing, please remember to put your contact details in with the items as it saves a lot of hassle for everyone.

In the future if there is sufficient interest, a drop off point may be established.

Cheers,

Graeme.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #12 on: 13/03/2012 at 18:19 »
Hi Graeme
Thanks for posting the information and welcome to the forum :z16

Best wishes
Mike

morrisonmarine

« Reply #13 on: 14/03/2012 at 08:45 »
Hi Graeme
Thanks for posting the information and welcome to the forum :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks very much for the welcome, since I posted some of your members have already taken advantage of the offer.

Cheers,
Graeme.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #14 on: 22/03/2012 at 21:38 »
Dropped off 2 life jackets to Morrison marine end of last week. Excellent communication from Graeme by text and email. Informed me of the necessary replacements which included photos and once I gave the go ahead had the jackets ready 2 days later.
15% forum discount as well :z16
Great service I'm very pleased. Highly recommended.

Once again the forum has come up trumps :z14

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com