Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Andy

corby loch
« on: 03/04/2010 at 20:17 »
hi folks, this is my first post.

Anyone ever fished corby before? I was thinking of giving it ago sometime soon.

Noel Kelly

Re: corby loch
« Reply #1 on: 04/04/2010 at 14:00 »
Hi Andy and welcome to the forum. Hopefully someone will come on and give you some more info but in the meantime I will tell you what I know.
I used fish it a bit for a few years, first day I ever fished there I had about half a dozen fin perfect rainbows of about 3/4 lb, the guy who runs the place Iain Muir reckoned they were breeding in the loch but im not so sure as never caught them again.
I never again caught 6 fish in a session there, in fact I have never blanked so often at any water as i have at Corby.

Some cracking browns are caught there every year, mainly from the boats which seem to be reserved for the members. I have spoken to a lot of members there over the years and everyone agrees that its a tough venue but that the fish are worth working for.
Its a deep water so warms up slowly, think they hardly bother fishing it til May. I believe a lot of the members fish it mainly at night for the best chance of a fish.

I have stayed there into darkness before and watched big trout cruising the shallows with their backs sticking out of the water. Never seen anyone actually catch one of these though so don't know if they are browns or some of the stocked rainbows.  
If they allowed float tubing I would fish it again but was no chance last time I asked.

Edit to add I just did a search for Corby Loch using the search function at the top of the page and there have been loads of discussions before. Worth a look :z16

Andy

« Reply #2 on: 04/04/2010 at 15:51 »
I like a challange, and its only a couple of miles away from me, i think i would try a half day to see what its like  :z15

clark

« Reply #3 on: 05/04/2010 at 14:38 »
Hi Andy,

I fished there about a dozen times last year so i might be able to give you a few tips  :z16 First off the boats are not reserved. Everytime I visited it ( bar 1 visit) I was able to get out on a boat. It is best to get out on the boat as there is only a small stretch of the shoreline which produces fish. If you do get out on the boat then head to the shore adjacent to the boat house you launch from. This is where i have had all my fish :z15 I caught them on traditional wets so the silver invicta, pearly invicta, the dunkeld and really any bushy wet fly works. This not to say that the fish aren't hard to catch though. In the 12 or so visits i made i blanked 4 times with my best days fishing being 4 fish. Phone Iain up and ask if the fishing is any good and ask about the boat aswell. He'll point you in the right direction for flies ect. when you arrive  :grin

hope this helps you a bit  :z16

Andy

« Reply #4 on: 05/04/2010 at 16:59 »
ok ill do that, thanks

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com