Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Gloves ..... What's best?
« on: 27/11/2011 at 13:59 »
Getting to that time of year again ...... so as the topic heading says: Gloves ..... What's best?

Cheers
Mike

Barry Robertson

Re: Gloves ..... What's best?
« Reply #1 on: 27/11/2011 at 14:12 »
For me its just man up and get on with it!
Cant be doing with any gloves on my hands when fishing, if anything i would have some hand warmers to warm my hands up if it was that cold!

http://www.tiso.com/shop/littlehottie/hand-warmers-single-use/

Iain Goolager

« Reply #2 on: 27/11/2011 at 18:58 »
Gloves are like spectacles and condoms - blokes don't like to wear them but when you HAVE too them must be comfortable and functional.

I've tried a few types over the decades and am happy with my simms fingerless ones

Don't like wearing them (when fishing) except in the coldest of conditions.

Iain

outspan001

« Reply #3 on: 27/01/2012 at 04:40 »
Hi there,

I personally think the best gloves that you can get full stop are the Seal Skinz ultragrip waterproof glove. They are 100% water and windproof, they are tight fitting and are dexterous, really good. I have fished in mine, and also use them as winter mountineering gloves ( if the weather is not to terrible!), always kept my hands warm.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealskinz-Ultragrip-Waterproof-Glove/dp/B000UFOOZ2

Cheers

Mark

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 27/01/2012 at 07:46 »
Never liked the Sealskinz, nor any neoprene gloves.what I wear now are fingerless woollen gloves, they obviouslly get wet, but still retain the heat.

:z18

Jim

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 27/01/2012 at 08:09 »
I like the sealskinz too. However, I have only used them when fly fishing for Pike so its large barbless hooks. Not sure how they would be with small barbed flies?

Many years ago when I used to do a lot of boat fishing for Cod, I would wear a pair of the blue food/surgical gloves on my hands, followed by woolen gloves, The blue gloves kept my hand dry and clean, and I could still tie knots etc, and the woolen gloves gave a bit of warmth but could be whipped off when a fish needed unhooking.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #6 on: 27/01/2012 at 20:49 »
I have some Snobee neoprenes that are decent enough the fore fingers and thumbs are tipless for tying things up
 easgach1

Ben Dixon

« Reply #7 on: 30/01/2012 at 22:13 »
I like my Orvis fingerless fleece gloves, they'll match your jacket Mike.

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 30/01/2012 at 23:30 »
Yep, I am using the Orvis fingerless fleece gloves too ........ Liking them a lot :z16

Don't think I'd go back to neoprene now.

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 31/01/2012 at 08:09 »
Yep, I am using the Orvis fingerless fleece gloves too ........ Liking them a lot :z16

Don't think I'd go back to neoprene now.

Cheers
Mike

Cass swears by her ones too, and swears at them.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #10 on: 31/01/2012 at 19:52 »
Not much good if you get them wet though, I have a pair of Orvis fleece Ok if you keep them dry, easgach1

Ben Dixon

« Reply #11 on: 31/01/2012 at 21:11 »
Same as any fleece, wring it out if wet and it starts keeping you warm again unlike wool which, once wet keeps you cold if there is anything more than a slight chill breeze.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 31/01/2012 at 22:19 »
unlike wool which, once wet keeps you cold if there is anything more than a slight chill breeze.

Pure wool keeps you warm when wet...just ask a sheep :) Add acrylic/nylon and its no where near as good. Merino gloves are the warmest when wet (tiz what mountaineers where)

outspan001

« Reply #13 on: 01/02/2012 at 11:05 »
I use the merino wool liner gloves under my full winter mountain gloves i use for climbing Munros in the winter, which need a liner to be properly warm.

Never tried fishing in them though!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #14 on: 01/02/2012 at 16:02 »
Never tried fishing in them though!

I would not bother, they get stretchy...lol. You end up with fingers like ET  :z16

Matt Henderson

« Reply #15 on: 01/02/2012 at 18:35 »
Your hands getting cold is generally a sign that your core is getting cold.  I find that if I really wrap up warm when fishing there is little need for gloves even on the coldest most miserable days.  Typically, long johns thick trackie bottoms, thermal vest, t-shirt, thin micro fleece, synthetic down jacket, wading jacket, buff and wooly bunnet.  That should do the trick.  My wading jacket also has neoprene cuffs which I can bring down over my hands but leaves my fingers exposed if I'm realy cold.

jpm75

« Reply #16 on: 01/02/2012 at 20:28 »
How do ya move with that amount of clothes on, let alone cast.
John.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #17 on: 01/02/2012 at 20:36 »
Your hands getting cold is generally a sign that your core is getting cold.  I find that if I really wrap up warm when fishing there is little need for gloves even on the coldest most miserable days.  Typically, long johns thick trackie bottoms, thermal vest, t-shirt, thin micro fleece, synthetic down jacket, wading jacket, buff and wooly bunnet.  That should do the trick.  My wading jacket also has neoprene cuffs which I can bring down over my hands but leaves my fingers exposed if I'm realy cold.

Mattheus,
you forgot to mention your thermal onesie, Tibbles!  :z4 :z7

Iain

Barry Robertson

« Reply #18 on: 01/02/2012 at 21:38 »
Gloves, onesie, jacket , cmon girls  :X2 :X2

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #19 on: 02/02/2012 at 08:32 »

Blimey!!

A good set of thermal underwear (HH or Paramo), A microfleece and a Paramo jacket over the top and a pair of windproof cotton trousers does it for me. It I am wading I have a pair of zip on padded army thermals (Mao suit) that I zip over my normal trousers. This gives extra insulation to the plums!

Matt Henderson

« Reply #20 on: 02/02/2012 at 11:30 »
How do ya move with that amount of clothes on, let alone cast.
John.

It sounds like a lot but to be honest the synthetic down jacket is so think that it's not that restrictive at all. 

Blimey!!

A good set of thermal underwear (HH or Paramo), A microfleece and a Paramo jacket over the top and a pair of windproof cotton trousers does it for me. It I am wading I have a pair of zip on padded army thermals (Mao suit) that I zip over my normal trousers. This gives extra insulation to the plums!

Get merino rather than HH.  Much warmer and less smell.  And the above outfit was for wading.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #21 on: 02/02/2012 at 11:40 »
Get merino rather than HH.  Much warmer and less smell.  And the above outfit was for wading.

Sort of agree :) The cost of proper merino is a bit much, but the Paramo out performs both HH and merino in both smell resistence and heat.

Having said that, I have a new HH Lifa top and that has silver threads through it to combat bacteria and thus smell. Jolly effective when out walking/climbing.

Matt Henderson

« Reply #22 on: 02/02/2012 at 14:50 »
Sort of agree :) The cost of proper merino is a bit much,

search for the sales.  Picked up an ice breaker top for 20quid the other day. 

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com