Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Re: 5 weight rod wanted
« Reply #25 on: 16/04/2008 at 11:42 »
Sandy,
just looking for the blank...coz I am building them myself for the association...but i wonder if its the same blank manufacturer that i get mine from just now?????????

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #26 on: 16/04/2008 at 16:36 »
Tam

Sorry, i moved this as the topic has digressed away from your original post too much
However it has a place here on the main forum.
If you want to repost the original request the feel free.

Cheers

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #27 on: 16/04/2008 at 16:41 »
Rob

I'm not telling :z7

I would want to build the rod though, before i would be happy to sell a blank blind.
That way you dont blame me if it doesn't do what you hope. :z4 :z4

Mind you, you would know better what you want it to do than I would.
Just i remember you saying that most saltwater rods are too fast for pike, our blank being
far more moderate in action might be the ideal thing, if the power reserves of the two lighter models transferred proportionally to a 10wt then theoretically it would be an enormously powerful blank, but smooth and controllable :z8

I might just try it anyway :wink

Sandy

Tam Greenock

« Reply #28 on: 16/04/2008 at 21:24 »
No probs at all Sandy, think l might wait and get a Barrio 5#, if its half as good as my 3# l will be more than happy  :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #29 on: 16/04/2008 at 21:37 »
Sandy,
most of the Pike rods on the market are bastardised salt water models with a very tippy action. This is great for small flies like Crazy Charlies etc and pitching a fly into a 20 mph headwind but totally useless for a large 6-10 inch bulky fly.

You need a much deeper action to roll the line out rather than fire it out. If you look at the Hardy (see..i do like the odd rod!!) Ad Swier Pike fly, this has a fast recovery, but deeper action for his HUGE flies. Its very good indeed. Then there is the new Scierra Pike fly..again, a differnt action to what is normally palmed off as a Pike rod. These rods are only a 7/8 and 8/9 weights, but honed on the shooting head tactics on the Baltic sea. Lovely rods with the right tactics. :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com