Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum Stream
Click on the logo to enter the main forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Natural Flies Of The River Don

I have just finished a new page on the website, written by Sandy :z16

This should prove a really useful addition, a guide that will certainly help to catch a few fish  )

You can read it here https://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/river-don-natural-flies.html

Read More

9 Comments

Had a wee wander down my new local today, can't wait to to take the walk with a 2wt next season.

Read More

5 Comments

Back in the days when you had fun taking a few pics, waited till you'd finished the roll of film, took it in to get developed, and then picked the photos up a few days later :)

A younger me, on a beach somewhere in NZ.

Note to self: Get that strap round your neck, and don't carry the case like a handbag *smiley-funny*

Read More

1 Comment
Websites have pretty much replaced fly fishing tackle catalogues nowadays.

Classic fishing catalogues - have you got any stashed away?

6 Comments
Something else lurking in the back of the cupboard - Hardy Bros Makers Alnwick 10492 greenheart fly rod.

About 15ft long, the first two sections are greenheart, the tip section is split cane.

I was going to hang this one in the fishing hut, but never got round to it.

I think Hardy fly rod serial numbers had a prefix letter from 1900 onwards?

8 Comments
Once again my wee look over the bridge by my house proved fruitful 😎 was out walking the dog after work and spotted a pod of fish in the pool below so a quick change if plans had me running down to my unit to grab a rod and tied the dog up to a nearby tree. The result was well worth the hassle 👍

:z18

Steven

9 Comments
Late this year. And not many about.

0 Comments
Back in the days when a lot of the measuring and weighing was done in the fishing hut :)

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com

0 Comments
Nice wee walk along Alford looking forward to visiting next year when the trout are back on.

1 Comment

1 Comment
Matt Hart fishing the upper River Don at Bellabeg :)

See the post here: https://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=9702.0

0 Comments

0 Comments
Spooled up and ready to do some more testing today  )

3 Comments
Out n about after the mail run :)

8 Comments

The hot weather has been terrible for fishing but on the plus side, i've noticed a big increase in pollinators visiting my garden.
I've packed the garden with Bee,Moth and Butterfly, friendly plants and this year has been the best yet.

Duncan

Read More

4 Comments
Heading up Jocks road to Tolmount and Tom Buidhe Munros.

0 Comments
Runs in to the Upper Dee.

2 Comments
Nice wander up the river this afternoon, looks so different in the low water conditions :)

4 Comments
Ice cream, plodging in the water, even the Haar can’t spoil it.

0 Comments
Blue skies at Castle Fraser today  )

But about 28 degrees ..... certainly not helping the water temperatures on the Don!

4 Comments
Grandma out teaching the bairns how to fish. Not often you see more than one at a time and I’ve rarely seen young ones. But the one watching looked like a really old bird. Fascinating family dynamic

6 Comments
Walking back to the car from Beinn Bhrotain wishing i had took a bivy tent on Monday 🤷🏻‍♂️

Great location for a wild Camp ⛺️

4 Comments
Got a fishing companion last night. When it came to the side of the loch I was wondering if it was going to swim out to see 'what I was....'

1 Comment

2 Comments

An enjoyable evening at Lochter with 'The Snowbee Wader Boys', George, Brian and Pete.

Very bright conditions, but we all caught a few fish  )

Popping little CDC Emergers out to the middle of the loch was great fun, I normally fish #3 and #5 lines on the river and I'd forgotten just how good the Smallstream #7 line is for this kind of presentation.

Read More

0 Comments
Last Monday.

With U.K. temperatures forecasted to possibly hit 40c . I think it will be a few Mondays before am back on the river banks :z8

0 Comments

1 Comment
Glamis is back! :)

Strathmore Vintage Vehicle Club are holding the 46th Scottish Transport Extravaganza at Glamis Castle this weekend ( 9th & 10th July )

Not fishing related, but a good day out, with over 1800 vehicles on display - https://www.svvc.co.uk/extravaganza/

Read More

1 Comment
Out n about after the mail run yesterday :)

2 Comments
Christopher Rownes has just published an article by Sandy on his website, The Floating Fly, which celebrates all things dry fly. https://www.thefloatingfly.com/sandy-nelson

Great stuff Sandy - long may the adventures continue :z16

6 Comments
Reminder: it's the Scottish Game Fair at Scone Palace this coming weekend ( July 1st-3rd )

See Allan's post in the forum here: https://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=9619.0

For more information visit the Scottish Game Fair website: https://www.scottishfair.com/...

Read More

0 Comments
I just read of the international competition being hosted on the river don yesterday and as well as Scotland winning gold, it seems Wales encountered some Don gold too *smiley-shocking*

A 73cm monster estimated at 10lb

10 Comments

3 Comments
Another great display tonight. Sometimes it's good to just pause for a moment, and take it all in  )

0 Comments

Spotted this today, Yellow May I think, but I am sure someone can advise. What patterns are used for these on the Don, any suggestions? 🤙

4 Comments

2 Comments
Steven with a nice Haddo Brownie  )

4 Comments
Nice evening for a wander along the beach :)

Don to the left, Dee to the right, kept my eyes on the water - but no fish spotted.

0 Comments
Cracking day out, went old School spiders , but the Winner of the day was the Killer bug.

1 Comment
Couple of nice Sea Trout on the Don last night :)

0 Comments
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

To make a post on the Forum Stream - simply go to the main forum and post in the Social Corner section  *smiley-wink*

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com