Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

esoxfly

Stuck Rod Joint
« on: 28/05/2009 at 19:37 »
Any tips for loosening a stuck rod joint.  I was up for a few hours on Lochindorb this afternoon (only a few small ones in the bright and v windy conditions) and couldn't get the bottom two sections of my 4 pc. rod apart. :mad  The joint is of the spigot type and the stripper ring is quite close to the joint making it difficult to get a grip. 

I wondered if it may be the heat and I should cool it down before trying again?  :z8

Any advice very gratefully received- some travel rod!  I'm just glad I wasn't needing to get on a plane with it (see "Caithness Flyer" post later).

Thanks,
Chris

Jim Eddie

Re: Stuck Rod Joint
« Reply #1 on: 28/05/2009 at 19:44 »
Chris

Some people keep strips of inner tube in their tackle bags , wrap this round the rod to give a good grip , then twist in opposite directions, helps if you have a mate.

Could also try frozen peas on the joint , not much help if yo are out fishing though  :wink 

:z18

Jim

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 29/05/2009 at 08:06 »
Place the rod behind you, across your buttocks, grab the rod either side of the joint and slightly bend over, with your wrists touching your hips.

This gives a straight pull on the section and will unstick most rods.

On now account twist the blank :(

esoxfly

« Reply #3 on: 29/05/2009 at 08:35 »
Thanks guys  :z16

I left the rod outside in the evening and tried again when it had cooled down and hey presto!

The inner tube idea sounds good  :z17

Rob, that is my usual method and has worked in the past but not this time  :z6

:z18
Chris

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 29/05/2009 at 11:09 »
Chris,
You need to eat more pies to get a bigger backside! I use my partners ;).. :z4 :z4

Fisher

« Reply #5 on: 29/05/2009 at 21:28 »
It takes 2 persons. both of you place both hands onto the rod each hand on either side of the joint ie you both have a hand either side of the joint and both pull and twist together at same time. Always works for me

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 30/05/2009 at 23:34 »
It takes 2 persons. both of you place both hands onto the rod each hand on either side of the joint ie you both have a hand either side of the joint and both pull and twist together at same time. Always works for me

Yes, I use that method too, although I don't like to twist the rod if possible. I quite often get asked to help with this type of problem at the fishery.

But the best method that I have found is ...... give it to Hamish :wink   He simply pulls the sections apart as if they weren't stuck :oops

Cheers
Mike

Noel Kelly

« Reply #7 on: 30/05/2009 at 23:46 »
Have never had this problem, is it possibly a case of pushing the joints together too tightly?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 31/05/2009 at 00:11 »
Yes, I think that's usually the cause Noel.

Cheers
Mike

adambrain

« Reply #9 on: 01/06/2009 at 13:39 »
for the future rub some pencil lead over the inner joint it acts like a lubricant

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com