Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

« on: 20/05/2011 at 00:02 »
Hello all
Name's Paul and I'm Irish. From a town called Balbriggan east coast.
I'm a pike man by trade but iv been on the fly for about three years. Nice forum hope I can contribute to the wealth if info available.

Just been at logie loch near stonehaven. Five trout, all about 2lb.

Spent last weekend on lough conn in Mayo west coast of Ireland. Few good sized brownies but what I came for was the mayfly hatch. No show:( the season is usually late anyway. From what in told it is starting to explode so if u have the itch for adventure that's s a good place to be for next few weeks. Also some good salmon moving through the river moy which flows into conn.

Anyway cant wait to start fishing the lochs around Aberdeenshire and further afield.

Ps. Any pike waters about? Can't help it:)
 Oh how my trout buddy's would loath when a pike steals a hooked trout. I laugh silently :)

Jim Eddie

Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: 20/05/2011 at 06:45 »
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Cead mile failte

:z18

Jim

Noel Kelly

« Reply #2 on: 20/05/2011 at 07:42 »
Hi paul,
Welcome :z16 I'm a Clare exile myself, live in Kintore now. Used fish corrib and derg a bit but not for a few years now. Can't help with the pike but would be interested in having a go with the fly if you get somewhere.
I mainly fish the river don nowadays so if you fancy a shot at that drop me a pm. :z18
Noel.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 20/05/2011 at 09:19 »
Welcome Paul,

Welcome  I'm a Clare exile myself, live in Kintore now.

Ah well, that's me dumped then................ I guess they'll be Noel & Pauls Pools now  :cry

Iain

Noel Kelly

« Reply #4 on: 20/05/2011 at 09:45 »
Who's this Iain "Goolager" that's interrupting myself and pauls thread?

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 20/05/2011 at 12:15 »
Why it's me, me old leprac lepricar leprocor, Irishman

:z7

Matt Henderson

« Reply #6 on: 20/05/2011 at 12:19 »
Welcome Paul,

Ah well, that's me dumped then................ I guess they'll be Noel & Pauls Pools now  :cry

Iain

I'll go fishing with you Iain, at least that is as long as somebody else doesn't offer to pay for me to go fishing somewhere else.   :wink

« Reply #7 on: 03/07/2011 at 13:23 »
Please excuse my very late reply. I have been over and back to the homeland a few times since my last post (not for fishing) :cry

An Chuileog your idea is a reel possibilty, see how i did that with the "reel" word play, its the best i can do  :z7. I tried it on lough derg once but back then i didnt know what i was doing.

Iv been out twice on the Don up near persley bridge and caught a few nice brown lads and one grisle about 3lb. All returned safely. What i would love to know is there a club i can join as i plan to do some serious fishing over the year... Iv been buying day tickets so far but its a bit costly. Could someone tell me my options?

Paul

Noel Kelly

« Reply #8 on: 03/07/2011 at 13:33 »
Hi Paul,
Without doubt this is the club to join
 http://www.adaa.org.uk/.
Initial layout involved but if you are gonna be around for a few years its worth it.
 :z18
Noel.

« Reply #9 on: 03/07/2011 at 13:44 »

thanks Noel Thats awsome. Ill look into that when i get off work... This fishing business takes up alot of personal and working time:)

Ill get back to you if you are up for an evenings fishing on the don?

Ps. As far back as i can remember i was staying with my aunt who lives just outside ennis. I remember my brother who was 3, which made me 6 at the time taking a trout from the river out the back of their house. when he hooked it and it jumped i pointed and caught a small bat in my hand. Thats my experience of clare and i shall not forget it:) good times.

Paul

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com