Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Tube Flies
« on: 19/02/2008 at 10:43 »
Calling all salmon tube fly experts,

I've taken another funny turn and now want to tie some Salmon Tubes. I've orderd Mikael Frodins' DVD on this but it's on back order so I'm trying to accumulate some materials at an early stage.

I've heard this 'n' that about certain 'new' materials (to me that is) eg. Arctic Fox, Templedog?, etc. and it's apparent that I 'aint much of a clue. I'm planning to buy the F.I.T.S tube system in a couple of colours but as for wing material - help!

It'd also be nice to have (can't find on tinterweb) a materials list for a 'Marauder Pot Bellied Pig' or any other such tube fly that a season fisher might suggest.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Iain

Jay Scott

Re: Tube Flies
« Reply #1 on: 19/02/2008 at 12:50 »

Hi Iain,

I'm no expert but a lot of new patterns do include the new materials like arctic fox due to the movement and they do look very nice!  :grin if you are just startring, i don't know what your tying skills are like (mine aren't the best to say the least :wink) but the older patterns with bucktail ie cascade tubes are still very effective. Here is what i woud reccomend however i am relatively new to tubes as well.

Arctic fox (various colours or Veniard do a mixed pack)
Bucktail ( same as above)
Antron wool ( black, orange and red)
Dyed hackles (fl. orange, yellow etc..)
Jungle cock (not neccesary the fish don't mind and is expensive)
Flashbrite dubbing seems to be a popular body
and....

Last but definatly not least tubes!

Hope this helps as i say what i would do but hopefully others will leave there ideas for comparison.

P.s where did you order the Mikael Frodins dvd? i want it!  :z7

Cheers, Jay

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 19/02/2008 at 13:52 »
Why pay for DVDs when Youtube has all you need ;)

and have a look to the right..loads of "modern" demos

Also, have a look at EP fibres..makes stunning flies..will get some photos to let you see.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 19/02/2008 at 15:16 »
Jay,

Thanks for that.

The DVD is on back order from Sportfish. £17... something. If you like I can  :wink give you a loan of mine when it comes.

Rob - EP fibres? yup, a photo would be good.

Thanks

Iain

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 19/02/2008 at 15:40 »
Excellent demo's
Cheers Rob

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 19/02/2008 at 17:28 »
Iain,
Depending on where you're based ( :?) I could spare a couple of hours to help you out with tying and material selection/pruchase suggestions.
Hamish

Iain Goolager

« Reply #6 on: 19/02/2008 at 17:55 »
Hamish,

That's mighty white of you Sir.

I reside in Blackburn which is not exactly a stones throw away from your HQ. but I'm not averse to parambulating a distance in the name of advancement.
Hopefully we can sort something out.

Any ideas?

Iain

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 19/02/2008 at 18:09 »
I could manage next Monday...... come out to sunny Dinnet  :cool:

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 19/02/2008 at 20:45 »
Deal,

I'll contact you via e-mail to organise things.

Iain

JIMBOB

« Reply #9 on: 22/02/2008 at 12:00 »
Iain

I tie the MF tubes using Arctic Fox. It's a great material and easy to work. My pref. is for the under wing to be shorter than the overwing. Turbo cones seem to be in vogue at the moment. I've tied a few but they don't look as good as the coneheads. I don't suppose the salmon mind.
I bought a lot of my  materials from Somers in Aberdeen. The MF needle that you use for slipping the tube onto for tying is superb. I'v tried all sorts over the years and this is the best yet.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #10 on: 22/02/2008 at 22:11 »
Thanks JimBob,

I was looking at the Turbo's today in Somers and they somehow just don't look right - just an unexplainable feeling. Apparently they are harder to cast/ lift for casting, I guess that's a fair surface area on the larger 'discs'.

By all accounts they catch so chances are I'll tie one or two just to see for myself.

Cheers

Iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 25/02/2008 at 12:59 »
I could manage next Monday...... come out to sunny Dinnet  :cool:

It was not sunny on Sunday!!!..I was struggling to put out a line even though I was using my 10 weight shooting heads!!  :shock :shock

Hamish Young

« Reply #12 on: 25/02/2008 at 18:56 »
Can give you some casting lessons which will help with that if you want Rob  :z7

Should have popped by for a brew  :wink

Dave Gordon

« Reply #13 on: 25/02/2008 at 21:58 »
Hamish

I will give you my FITS system tube and cones, along with a copy of the video we took when Frodin was in my shop doing a demo.

I dont use the turbo cones now, as they are horrible to cast, and for me simply do not work. I think they work well in certain water flows, but not in conditions that I have access to.

I gave them a real good go last season, but not even a touch. However I am a great fan of the temple dog used in them, I have started getting all my salmon hair wings done with it and doing ok this season. I will take you a few for our DeeDay!

Hamish Young

« Reply #14 on: 25/02/2008 at 22:06 »
Cheers Dave  :z16 Something new to try out  :cool:

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com