Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Abel

Recommend me a fly tying kit
« on: 09/07/2012 at 23:39 »
Hi guys

I'm looking for a fly tying kit vice some of the things that hold the thread and not sure what else I need :z8 I don't want to spend a fortune just something for a beginner. It's just something I want to try hopefully I will manage with massive hands not getting in the way  :z12  hopefully I can make some nice patterns but I've a feeling they will be monsters to start with :z4 thanks for any replies all the best j :z16

Hamish Young

Re: Recommend me a fly tying kit
« Reply #1 on: 10/07/2012 at 09:15 »
Personally, I would consider going into a shop and asking the question of the staff there  :cool:

OK, there are plenty of starter kits available ranging from very cheap to wallet witheringly expensive.
But for me it makes sense to me that someone starting out fly tying should go and put something together that will suit them nicely to start off with. A small kit of materials to cover a dozen patterns or so will not cost the earth.

Best buy IMHO is a decent pair of scissors.

Depending on where you're based, there may be a fly tying evening/class nearby. I would go to one of those events first, take some advice and buy your fly tying kit second.

:z3

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 10/07/2012 at 10:00 »
Many moons ago when I started tying flies I went into Somers (when Jim Somers was still alive and the shop was in Thistle Street) and I asked him the same question.

He sent me away and told me to work out 10 flies I wanted to tie.

I came back with the list (Black Pennel, Zulu, Soldier Palmer and so on) and he sat down with me and worked out a list of materials I would need as well as tools.

Not only did it work out cheaper than a kit, I had no waste material and used everything.

I few months later I went back with a list of Salmon flies and we did the same thing, this time not needing any tools.

Thats probably the best advice I ever got from a tackle shop.

James Abel

« Reply #3 on: 10/07/2012 at 10:42 »
Unfortunately I'm in the sticks Fraserburgh  :X2 im thinking the nearest shop will be in aberdeen :z8 what would be the best shop ??? Thanks for any replies

Peter McCallum

« Reply #4 on: 10/07/2012 at 12:25 »
Theres always the internet, or mail order for tying material  :cool:.

I would agree with Rob, list your 10 most important flies then work out materials either from books/internet/this forum. :z16

danbruce

« Reply #5 on: 10/07/2012 at 17:18 »
Hi hobby fishing,

I would recommend Orvis in Banchory the guys up there will sort you out with all you need once you decide on what you want to tie. Plus they won't try to sell you anything that you don't need unlike some places i have been to.

I have a spare vice (the type that clamps onto a table or desk, just basic but will do the job) it came with a kit that i got as a gift. As i already had one i have never used, you can have it free if you like. I am currently moving house and having a clear out, if you PM me your address i can post it out to you. Sure there is a Fly tying DVD that came with it, if i can find it i will throw that in too.

Cheers,

Dan

James Abel

« Reply #6 on: 11/07/2012 at 10:49 »
Thanks Dan Pm sent :z16

Ben Dixon

« Reply #7 on: 11/07/2012 at 13:16 »
I'd recommend the following patterns to get you started.....

Black spider
Simple Buzzer
bead head GRHE
HE F Fly / CDC
PTN
HE Spider

Start wth #12 or #14 hooks

For the above you'll need the following

Black thread 8/0
brown thread 8/0
Black hen cape
small silver ultra wire
natural hares mask
Small & medium pearl mirage tinsel
bag CDC
Small gold or copper ultra wire
Kamasan B170 or equivalent hooks
Kamasan B110 or equivalent
Kamasan B400 or equivalent
1/8" gold beads
Bag nat. brown partridge
Bottle Veniard Celire clear varnish

Tools.....
Veniard no. 4 spring lever vice
standard hackle pliers
fine point scissors
dubbing needle

If you came by the shop I'd go through a few patterns with you.

Cheers

Ben

James Abel

« Reply #8 on: 11/07/2012 at 17:03 »
Thanks Ben  :z18

Liam Stephen

« Reply #9 on: 11/07/2012 at 17:27 »
I'd also recommend some  pheasant tails. The first fish I caught on my own fly fell for one of Iain awesome PTN's (check out the SBS section)  :z16

Cheers
Liam

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com