Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Re: Haddo Float Tube Gathering ( Sunday August 9th )
« Reply #25 on: 12/08/2009 at 12:53 »
big thanks to mike (and his residents!) for making it another great day out. It's kinda cool looking up the water and seeing lots of tubes...

And did you christen the Helios? and if so, what do you think?

Iain Goolager

« Reply #26 on: 12/08/2009 at 20:09 »
Rob,

have a closer look at his picture & see if you recognize the rod.

By the way Iain which line did you use with it?

Iain

Iain Cameron

« Reply #27 on: 13/08/2009 at 07:54 »
And did you christen the Helios? and if so, what do you think?

wasn't using the helios on sunday - but it has been used many times. a pleasure to use, a lovely piece of kit. Adding a bit of line speed helps, but it is easy to work with and so so light. At least mine has been out of hte bag a few times -- guess yours is gathering much dust... :-)

On sunday, I was using my Barrio Lightweight -- cracking rod to use, but although a different beast from the helios -- noticably softer, slower and more through-action, but not 'floppy' - you can still hustle big fish into the net quickly & safely.

iain - i've used the Barrio with a couple of lines -- one of mike's olive/Green DT4s (it was on a reel that was conveniently to hand), but that's too heavy for long work, probably ok for short lines. Used a cream DT4 from the tube, and for those distances it is not too bad (Milke has explained that all other things being equal, the green lines weigh more than the cream ones!). But have a new barrio WF4 that I will pair with the rod. I just prefer the lighter colour of the WF lines, and they are so light anyway that I don't feel that they are too heavy when alighting on water.

cheers
iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #28 on: 13/08/2009 at 08:53 »
Green lines will be heavier than cream as green dye is heavier ;)... :z4 :z4

Glad you are liking the rod...I have had a cunning plan for the weekend if you are interested ;)

Iain Cameron

« Reply #29 on: 13/08/2009 at 09:02 »
Green lines will be heavier than cream as green dye is heavier ;)... :z4 :z4

Glad you are liking the rod...I have had a cunning plan for the weekend if you are interested ;)

forget the plans ... get some fishing action!!!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com