Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Fly Tying / Re: Good source of deer hair for muddlers
« Last post by James Laraway on Yesterday at 15:47 »
that is a LOT of muddlers !

I bought a complete winter Roe skin on eBay a couple of years ago, only cost about £40. Have to dye my own patches but that is not too difficult. Still go plenty of it left.
« Last post by Robert MacDonald-Lewis on Yesterday at 14:45 »
I bought a complete winter Roe skin on eBay a couple of years ago, only cost about £40. Have to dye my own patches but that is not too difficult. Still go plenty of it left.
Rivers & Lochs / Re: Highland lochs 2024
« Last post by James Laraway on Yesterday at 08:55 »
So another new loch for me on saturday, one of Dornoch Angling Clubs wild trout waters.

Although it was not due to rain we seem to be suffering from sea fog at the moment which really cools things down.

Anyway, having struggled to find the loch through forestry roads i came upon it and it was a lovely wee loch amoungst the heather. No wading here as you would sink without trace but the banks were good.

Set up with my #4 glass and started working one bank. About 5 mins in I get one of about 1/2 lb on a gosling style peter ross on point ( size 8 so they are not afraid of big flies !)

I then work my way down and about 20 mins later i get another, more 3/4 to 1lb on a black cormorant, again on the point.

I am seeing a splash, then a pause then a pull so i think they are going for the dropper, missing then taking the point fly.

I fish for about 3 hours and land 4 and miss a few. A good wee trip out considering the weather was a wee bit chilly

The last fish is a right bruiser and smashes the fly on the dropper for once ( black and red muddler). It takes to the air and makes a right thump as it re-enters the water. There is a great bend on the rod and the fight is hard. I think this one is somewhere between 1 1/4 and 1 1/2....unfortunately the photo doesnt show its size or how massively fat it was

I'll be back....

Rivers & Lochs / Re: River Don day tickets….
« Last post by Paul Garrigan on 05/05/2024 at 19:45 »
Thanks very much lads. Big Thanks to Noel as well who dropped me some great info. I had a cracking few hours. I spent a bit too much time looking for rising fish. Spotted one and messed up my chance. Then switched up to a klink n dink and Js a few. No monsters but a great way to spend a few hours. That’s me back down in Ayrshire but I’ll be back up soon.

« Last post by John Wastle on 03/05/2024 at 10:20 »
Agreed James, Cookshill dark Roe is the best I have come across for quality and quantity. Perfect for hogs, dhes and small muddlers.
« Last post by Graham Nicol on 03/05/2024 at 08:03 »
Alternatively you can park up at Dyce cemetery off Pitmedden road or in the car park off Riverside Drive just behind Asda. As mentioned loads of fishing available
« Last post by Iain Cameron on 03/05/2024 at 07:58 »
Hi Paul,
 I’m an ADAA member; here is some info.

For proximity to airport, I’d suggest the Lower Parkhill beat. There’s parking beside the bridge where the A947 crossed the Don, just minutes from the Airport.
See the beat map here: https://www.adaa.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/parkhilllayby.pdf

Circled on the map is the lay bay just beside the road bridge. Parking there gives you great access to walk upstream for the downstream end of Upper Parkhill, and walk downstream to fish Lower Parkhill. It’s all just Parkhill. You’ll have more water to fish than you need for a day.

Hope that helps
Iain
« Last post by Paul Garrigan on 02/05/2024 at 19:57 »
Magic cheers. Any idea where’s the best place to park? 

Appreciate it.
Paul
Main Discussion Area / Re: Flies for fishing for salmon - in lochs
« Last post by Iain Stewart on 02/05/2024 at 13:48 »
Agree with Graham. In  North Uist we regularly fish with size 12, and 10 wets and size 10 and 8 muddlers depending on the size of wave. I also like a stoats tail, or mini  shrimp pattern on the point, and most of the takes are as the fly starts to drag as you get a bow in the line as boat moves along the shorelines.

Enjoy.
« Last post by James Laraway on 02/05/2024 at 13:16 »
so i got a patch of dark roe hair from Cookshill fly tying.
Amazing quality, absolutely the best i have seen by some distance and at £10 for a big patch amazing value too
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com