Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Diawl Bach or Cruncher?
« on: 31/07/2010 at 16:35 »
Diawl Bach or Cruncher ...... which is best?

Jim Eddie

Re: Diawl Bach or Cruncher?
« Reply #1 on: 31/07/2010 at 20:22 »
I like them both  :wink

:z18

Jim

Alex Burnett

« Reply #2 on: 31/07/2010 at 23:01 »
Diawl Bach or Cruncher ...... which is best?

Diawl Bach, preferably with a red rib :wink :wink

Alex

Dutchfly

« Reply #3 on: 01/08/2010 at 09:55 »
For me, no contest: Diawl Bach.

CU

Jeroen

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 02/08/2010 at 23:31 »
What's a cruncher?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 03/08/2010 at 00:08 »

« Reply #6 on: 03/08/2010 at 20:07 »
Diawl Bach with green rib for me over the crunchers 95% of the time, especially when searching as part of a team of nymphs or inbetween a coule of buzzers. that being said i took a crack ing 6lb blue on a red rib DB not so long ago, and another chap that evening had plenty of sport on "a wee cruncher".

Cheers

Colin.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 03/08/2010 at 20:30 »
Must confess that I prefer the profile of the Crunchers, that full "spider like" front hackle gives me confidence :wink

I've seen some very poor flies described as Crunchers in catalogues lately though :z6

Cheers
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 03/08/2010 at 21:00 »
Must confess that I prefer the profile of the Crunchers, that full "spider like" front hackle gives me confidence

Most successful nymph for me this season has been a PTN with a short, soft brown hackle - just makes the difference I think.

Iain

Barry Robertson

« Reply #9 on: 28/10/2010 at 23:01 »
Most successful nymph for me this season has been a PTN with a short, soft brown hackle - just makes the difference I think.

Iain

That sounds like a cruncher without a  hen tail Iain  :wink
I have been a convert to crunchers over the last couple of seasons! Great for fish feeding just sub surface!
Last time i was up at haddo i had 4 browns and each one of them nailled the cruncher  :wink
Whether its the pattern or the depth they are fished at , the fish sure like em  :wink

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 28/10/2010 at 23:11 »
I think it is worth experimenting with giving any good Diawl Bach pattern a Cruncher style full hackle :z17

Cheers
Mike

Noel Kelly

« Reply #11 on: 29/10/2010 at 06:39 »
Hmmm I rarely fish either, must address that.

Irvine Ross

« Reply #12 on: 29/10/2010 at 12:24 »
 I'm a bit confused about these cruncher things. Anybody care to tell me what the difference is between a cruncher and a spider? I looked up a few so called cruncher patterns on the web and one of them was pretty close to what I know as an Endrick spider, a pattern that has been on the go for a long time.

Irvine

Peter McCallum

« Reply #13 on: 29/10/2010 at 15:32 »
Isn't it stranger how many 'new' flies are reinventions or vartiations of  old flies ? We use our brains :?, skills, time & energy to develop new patterns and find some old git has used his skill, time, etc 50 or more years ago and arrived at exactly the same solution :roll

Mike Barrio

« Reply #14 on: 29/10/2010 at 17:59 »
Isn't it stranger how many 'new' flies are reinventions or vartiations of  old flies ? We use our brains :?, skills, time & energy to develop new patterns and find some old git has used his skill, time, etc 50 or more years ago and arrived at exactly the same solution :roll

Don't tell the fish! :z13

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com