Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

mike

What fly line to buy ??
« on: 12/02/2012 at 21:32 »
Greetings folks ,

I am in need of a bit of advice please..... I have been fishing for just over a year and a half so pretty new to the game . I would like to add a new floating line to the bag and was wondering what you can recomend ?  I'm, or should i say my mrs tells me im working to a budget of about no more than £40. i dont go river fishing , just lochs just now , so i dont know if that will make a differance. I recently bought a 10' #7 wt Rovex Genesis rod with what im really happy with.

A guy at work has advised me to get a #8 line as this will help with my casting ???? opinions please .

I was looking at the lines that Mr Barrio sells at haddo and they look really good especially the SLX i believe its called.

I have a #7wt Hardy line i bought last year from Sommers but the line memory is really poor and does'nt cast at all well compared to a cheaper one from John Norris bought about the same time . It lies in the water like a constapated snake (~~~~~~~)  instead of (-----------) !! i have tried to stretch it a few times as well ..

so , to summerise ,

i dont have a clue and you do , please help . I bow to your knowledge in advance...

Cheers ,

Mike G .  :z14 :z14 :z14

Mike Barrio

Re: What fly line to buy ??
« Reply #1 on: 13/02/2012 at 00:01 »
Hello Mike

If you are looking at Barrio lines and have been fishing for just over a year and a half, then a Barrio Mallard WF7F or a Barrio GT90 WF7F should serve you well for your fishing at fisheries. Both are well within your budget and will lie nicely on the water. See http://www.flylineshop.com/barrio-fly-lines.html

I don't think I have cast a Rovex Genesis, but I wouldn't normally put an #8 line on a #7 rod. If you are having problems casting, you might like to consider a casting lesson? ....... money well spent when you are starting out and you will be amazed at how much it will help you!

Best wishes
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 13/02/2012 at 00:32 »
Hi Mike,

How did you spool your Hardy line?  If you pull line off the side of a spool,it puts a twist into, you may know this already of course!  When spooling any new line, stick a pencil through the centre of the spool and wind it straight on to the reel, either stick the pencil between your knees or have someone hold it so that the line is coming off the bottom of the spool.

The SLX #7 would be my choice, slightly heavier than a standard #7 line, colour change to keep things repeatable and just generally easy to cast at most fishing ranges without having to put too much line in the air.  The £5 change from your £40 will get you a few tapered leaders.

Cheers

Ben

mike

« Reply #3 on: 13/02/2012 at 16:03 »
Thanks guys ,

Re Ben_D ..   The shop put the line on for me FOC along with new backing line as well . I do like the look of the SLX lines after watching the film of someone on here casting one and if they are a bit heavier that would be a big plus point ...

Cheers ,

Mike G .  :z16

mike

« Reply #4 on: 13/02/2012 at 16:17 »
@ Mike B

Thanks for the prompt reply. Your prices are very , very good and have good write ups from the magazine clips you have posted . As you see Ben_D's choice is the SLX and it does look like a great line but the advise for taking a casting lesson i think would help me greatly . Do you do lessons yourself at Haddo or indeed does Ben give lessons anywhere?

If anyone else reading these posts knows of anyone who could stand showing me how to improve my casting all are welcome ....  :z4 :z4

Thanks again for the help and if you can pm me with your prices that would be great .

Cheers,

MikeG .

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 13/02/2012 at 16:53 »
Hi Mike
I would fully recommend Ben for casting lessons :z16

Send him a PM and I'm sure he will get you on the right track.

Best wishes
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 14/02/2012 at 08:45 »
Thumbs up for Bed from me as well. Just don't let him hand you any nice Orvis rods to try...you will end up spending a fortune..lol.

mike

« Reply #7 on: 16/02/2012 at 23:44 »
Thumbs up for Bed from me as well. Just don't let him hand you any nice Orvis rods to try...you will end up spending a fortune..lol.

Cheers for the advice Rob, ill just take the cash for the lesson and leave the credit card at home ............ :X2 ( honest )

Sieger Devries

« Reply #8 on: 17/02/2012 at 00:16 »
 :grin I see a great trying and buying career coming up here.....  :X2

Actually ... take up the advice of the guys right here... take some lessons, try what you like (might be different from what you own...) try again and than decide... go fish for a season and take some lessons again..... eventually you come to the best possible tackle-combi suited to your wishes and needs...

(took me some 6 fine years.... :z8 )

mike

« Reply #9 on: 17/02/2012 at 11:52 »
:grin I see a great trying and buying career coming up here.....  :X2

Actually ... take up the advice of the guys right here... take some lessons, try what you like (might be different from what you own...) try again and than decide... go fish for a season and take some lessons again..... eventually you come to the best possible tackle-combi suited to your wishes and needs...

(took me some 6 fine years.... :z8 )

Sound advise Sieger,
I'm lucky staying here in Aberdeen as there are plenty of experienced people to bend their ear for a little help. Once Mike opens up Haddo i'll be heading out to try a new floating line then come May a lesson with Ben is on the cards ...

Look out Trout I'm comin t get yi  ... :z15 :z15 :z15 :z15   :z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com