Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ivor Duffus

Cove Bay
« on: 21/02/2022 at 11:28 »
Another long dry summer this year and I will have to purchase some Mackerel tackle.

Rob Brownfield

Re: Cove Bay
« Reply #1 on: 12/04/2022 at 16:25 »
Just use a stillwater trout outfit and fish a white or silver humungus or similar.
When the mackerel corral the Slid in the harbour, you can catch a mackerel a cast.
I use a 6 weight, but a 10 foot 7 weight would be ideal.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 12/04/2022 at 16:59 »
Have always fancied trying for Mackerel, but not done it yet  :)

Matt Hart

« Reply #3 on: 13/04/2022 at 12:31 »
Might give the fly a go for them this season. Usual tackle is my 14ft beach caster, 5/6 "feathers", 3oz weight at the bottom and launch it as far as you can. If you hit the school, they can't help themselves and you end up having to fight 5/6 fish all at once - it's some fight !!

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #4 on: 13/04/2022 at 14:08 »
Just use a stillwater trout outfit and fish a white or silver humungus or similar.
When the mackerel corral the Slid in the harbour, you can catch a mackerel a cast.
I use a 6 weight, but a 10 foot 7 weight would be ideal.

I remember you taking me there for my first bash at saltwater fly fishing MANY moons ago.

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #5 on: 13/04/2022 at 14:09 »
Might give the fly a go for them this season. Usual tackle is my 14ft beach caster, 5/6 "feathers", 3oz weight at the bottom and launch it as far as you can. If you hit the school, they can't help themselves and you end up having to fight 5/6 fish all at once - it's some fight !!

cough cough  :z18

Ivor Duffus

« Reply #6 on: 14/04/2022 at 15:46 »
Never realised catching them on the fly at Cove was possible. I thought they would be further out.

A couple for the Barbecue perhaps  :) :)

Matt Hart

« Reply #7 on: 15/04/2022 at 10:17 »
cough cough  :z18

Dont worry I'll keep you in the loop when they arrive end of July/August  :z18

Never realised catching them on the fly at Cove was possible. I thought they would be further out.

I reckon the hardest part would be casting without hooking someone else standing on the harbour wall. A kayak would be ideal for it, but casting a spinning rod from a kayak can be wobbly at times so I don't know if I'd have the minerals to fly fish from a kayak at sea haha. They are usually a littler further out - but I have seen them at Stonehaven coming right in to the harbour.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 06/05/2022 at 11:21 »

When the tide and moon phase is right, they can come right into the harbour, right at your feet. They chase the Slid into the main part and then just charge in and scatter the baitfish across the surface.
You don't even have to retrieve, just cast into the scattring fry and wait :)

I have heard of Bass being taken by fishing at the "back" of the Mackerel, but I have never actually seen one caught.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com