Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Noel Kelly

Ice free waters
« on: 24/11/2012 at 21:04 »
Might be an idea to have a thread so we can let each other know where's fishable now that the deep freeze is setting in.

I'm hoping to fish lochter tomorrow, anyone been there today?

Mike Barrio

Re: Ice free waters
« Reply #1 on: 24/11/2012 at 21:08 »
There were a few folk fishing at Lochter as I drove past today Noel. Don't forget that the wee Haddo valley is always a couple of degrees colder than everywhere else at this time of year :wink

Cheers
Mike

Noel Kelly

« Reply #2 on: 24/11/2012 at 21:17 »
Yes I appreciate that Mike , cheers fr the info :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 01/12/2012 at 20:46 »
Hmmm ..... white stuff :z3

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #4 on: 02/12/2012 at 00:01 »
waters are all nice and liquid in the south of France. stop by any time !  :z4

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 02/12/2012 at 00:09 »
How are things going there Marc?  You be heading back up north any time soon?

CHeers

Ben

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #6 on: 02/12/2012 at 13:53 »
not bad, Ben. thanks for asking :)
old and ill family will have me here for a while. as for the north, no f'n way am i going to again live in a country where water is frozen half the year...
having left the 'loosers', i'll be certifying with AAPGAI soon so expect a visit maybe before the Gathering  :wink

cheers,
marc

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 02/12/2012 at 15:46 »
I'll be certifying with AAPGAI soon so expect a visit maybe before the Gathering  :wink

:z16

H :z3

Ben Dixon

« Reply #8 on: 02/12/2012 at 17:30 »
not bad, Ben. thanks for asking :)
old and ill family will have me here for a while. as for the north, no f'n way am i going to again live in a country where water is frozen half the year...
having left the 'loosers', i'll be certifying with AAPGAI soon so expect a visit maybe before the Gathering  :wink

cheers,
marc

Cool, living up north even here has its drawbacks.  Starting to get cold this last few days.

Cool about AAPGAI, you are welcome any time if you want to go through anything Marc.

CHeers

Ben

Kev Danby

« Reply #9 on: 04/12/2012 at 08:58 »
Fished Insch on Saturday Loch Insch was ice free the other had some open water. Had the whole place to myself and ended up with 12 fish in 3.5hrs the increasingly frequent snow showers eventually cutting short the visit at 2pm. The quality of the fish was excellent all fully finned and the majority over 3lb the biggest going 5lb. The weed was fine and the fish taking small black damsel with a slow retrieve. All in all a good few hours and could have had a good few more if I had stayed till dusk.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #10 on: 04/12/2012 at 18:03 »
That surprises me Kev, the ice free bit.

Ordered a new 3wt SLX and haven't been out for ages due to work p*** so hopefully sneak a cheeky few hours this weekend.

3wt, bushy dry and a couple o' buzzers, sounds like fun.

Iain

Noel Kelly

« Reply #11 on: 04/12/2012 at 19:32 »
Sounds good! If I'm not working Sunday I fancy some of that action.
7wt, fast sinker, 2 blobs and a "damsel" on the point, awesome  :grin

Kev Danby

« Reply #12 on: 05/12/2012 at 15:32 »
Iain I would be tempted to fish something a bit more substantial on the point a weighted bibio or chunky hares ear the the fish were full of snails and they seem to have fed well on the weed.

Steady on the blobs Noel you are only supposed to fish them under an indicator at a max of 2ft depth :X2. mind you a small black blob on the point with a steady retrieve might just work.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #13 on: 05/12/2012 at 19:03 »
Cheers Kev, was only joking.....kinda. Working all weekend again anyway so no loch insch for me :cry

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com