Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

murph

Highland loch fishing
« on: 09/05/2009 at 22:11 »
Hi all!

I've pondered with the idea of trecking off into the highlands for a few days in search of the most remote places and lochs, obviously in search for wild brownies. Have any of you guys has such trips?? Are there any particular areas that must be visited?

Any info appreciated.

Cheers

Barry Robertson

Re: Highland loch fishing
« Reply #1 on: 09/05/2009 at 22:50 »
Iam up the hills a fair bit Murph, Not ventured up the highlands much but i often get out and about round Glen Esk,Glen Clova,Glen Doll and up around ballater area!
Plenty of good hill lochs about and its just the case of asking the land owner before you head up, most places dont even require a permit  :z16

murph

« Reply #2 on: 09/05/2009 at 22:57 »
Sounds good!

I play golf in Braemar so I'm in that area quite often.

Do you know what the story is with the bigger lochs there like lock Muick?

Barry Robertson

« Reply #3 on: 09/05/2009 at 23:00 »
I believe loch Muik is run by the ballater angling club but iam sure Hamish will be able to give you more info.
I talked to Balmoral ranger service earlier in the year and got written permission to fish lochnagar and Dubh loch and they both hold fish belive it or not  :wink

Dubh loch looking nice here http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1258.0

murph

« Reply #4 on: 09/05/2009 at 23:11 »
Did you fish Lochnagar?

I would probably prefer to go somewhere that was more difficult to access, even if it entailed walking for 3 or 4 hours to get to.

Any suggestions??

Barry Robertson

« Reply #5 on: 09/05/2009 at 23:14 »
Have a look on the scottish hills forum and have a look at some of the walking reports and photos, they show you loads of hill lochs!
Its just a case of fish around and see what places hold decent fish!
Dont fancy anything more than a 4hr walk with a float tube on my back, i think lochnagar is bad enough without a tube to carry!

a nice wee walk here  :z4

http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3913

Gordy66m

« Reply #6 on: 19/05/2009 at 10:16 »
For "Highland Loch" type fishing I think loch Lee is about the closest thing on the East coast, there are 3 boats available (nice and stable and good oars) see link for details

http://www.fish-wild.co.uk/index.php?database=1&getpage=features&pid=15

Can be dour but when its on its on. Early morning for me has resulted in some very memorable trips. Last year my fishing partner had 3.25 lb yellow belly.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 19/05/2009 at 18:24 »
For "Highland Loch" type fishing I think loch Lee is about the closest thing on the East coast, there are 3 boats available (nice and stable and good oars) see link for details

http://www.fish-wild.co.uk/index.php?database=1&getpage=features&pid=15

Can be dour but when its on its on. Early morning for me has resulted in some very memorable trips. Last year my fishing partner had 3.25 lb yellow belly.

Oh there are plenty more out there which are truely remote. You can drive to Loch Lee in your standard family car :) Have been doing some prelimery work and tying flies to suit :)

Barry Robertson

« Reply #8 on: 23/05/2009 at 00:59 »
Have you got plans for loch Lee this year Rob?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 25/05/2009 at 12:41 »
No plans for anything just now...just changed job etc so trying to sort out free time..however..open to suggestions :)

Barry Robertson

« Reply #10 on: 25/05/2009 at 14:36 »
I think i will look into getting a ticket for loch lee next time i am home!
Only open till august the 7th if i mind right so best i get a day out before i get to many dates on my callendar  :z16

Jim Eddie

« Reply #11 on: 25/05/2009 at 18:16 »
Have you fished it before Baz ? I don't think there are any motors on the boats though you can bring your own, its a hard row if the wind gets up.

:z18

Jim

Barry Robertson

« Reply #12 on: 25/05/2009 at 18:40 »
Fished it plenty Jim, i have my own motor so i will be fine, no way am i rowing!
Especially when the best bit of fishing is at the top of the loch  :wink
Fancy it  :?

Gordy66m

« Reply #13 on: 04/06/2009 at 11:12 »
The loch is not really shut on the 12 Aug, its just that bunches of "toffs" come up to the lodge for the start of the shooting season and they get first dibs on the fishing. But its worth checking with the Head Keeper as he says himself that most of them are not interested in the trout fishing and the boats can be available until about the 15th Sept. Worth a phone.

When you say the top of the loch I take it you mean where the river comes in.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #14 on: 04/06/2009 at 13:14 »
Fished it plenty Jim, i have my own motor so i will be fine, no way am i rowing!
Especially when the best bit of fishing is at the top of the loch  :wink
Fancy it  :?

Aye I fancy it  :wink Once I get back from my travels

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com