Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Rivers & Lochs / Re: River Don 2024
« Last post by Sandy Nelson on Yesterday at 18:07 »
Been busy this week with various things but I did get out a couple of times
Early on before we had the mini flash flood, there were good hatches of Uprights and still plenty LDOs, they never really dissappear and can still get the trout rising

Some nice fish to be found, but not in the usual spots, many had moved into the pocket water and it took a bit is spotting to see them

I caught this guy again. Despite his war wounds from either a sawbill or the Osprey he rose freely in a different area to last time

Speaking of Osprey I watched this guy for a while before he settled in the top of this tree and then dove like a kingfisher to take a nice fish from the pool below. Never seen an Osprey do this before  *smiley-shocking*

Some Bonny silvery trout about too. Not sure if they were finnock that had been in the water for a while or just silvery browns. They were too big for smolts

Some nice fish though in the pockets

As the week warmed up I saw a couple of these guys. Common lizards, but not often you see them. This one was particularly friendly

Towards the end of  week there were noticeably less decent fish rising and an increase in the amount of smolts taking your fly. So I guess that fresh water on Monday moved a lot of them downstream and the Smolt hatch is well underway.
Probably means evenings are on the cards very soon for finding the better fish on the surface. Or big streamers  *smiley-tongue-out*
Social Corner / Barrio Midge Tip Fly Line
« Last post by Mike Barrio on 10/05/2024 at 14:39 »
Great to see the Barrio Midge Tip line performing well in the review by Magnus Angus  >)

See the latest June edition of Fly Fishing & Fly Tying magazine.

Fly Tying / Re: Good source of deer hair for muddlers
« Last post by James Laraway on 10/05/2024 at 13:33 »
I've never tried a sedgehog in a size 4...

i must give it a try *smiley-wink*

Its a lot of size 4 Sedgehogs too  *smiley-lol*
« Last post by Robert MacDonald-Lewis on 10/05/2024 at 13:25 »
Its a lot of size 4 Sedgehogs too  *smiley-lol*
Social Corner / Re: Izaac Walton Museum
« Last post by Mike Barrio on 08/05/2024 at 11:03 »
The museum  sounds interesting Terry.

Good luck with your hazel wand quest  *smiley-grin*
Social Corner / Izaac Walton Museum
« Last post by Terry Coging on 08/05/2024 at 08:13 »
The refurbished museum opened on Sunday here in Staffordshire.
Some fascinating stuff in there and it made me think - if we took modern technology and materials out of the equation, then not much has changed in the last 400 years.
Even then, in the mid 17th C, old Izaac and his mate Charles Cotton were using fly patterns known as the 'Dames Dozen' that were established almost 150 years before.
So, I'm looking for an 18' Hazel rod with a tapered whalebone tip and a spliced horsehair line.  *smiley-grin*

« Last post by James Laraway on 06/05/2024 at 15:47 »
that is a LOT of muddlers !

I bought a complete winter Roe skin on eBay a couple of years ago, only cost about £40. Have to dye my own patches but that is not too difficult. Still go plenty of it left.
« Last post by Robert MacDonald-Lewis on 06/05/2024 at 14:45 »
I bought a complete winter Roe skin on eBay a couple of years ago, only cost about £40. Have to dye my own patches but that is not too difficult. Still go plenty of it left.
Rivers & Lochs / Re: Highland lochs 2024
« Last post by James Laraway on 06/05/2024 at 08:55 »
So another new loch for me on saturday, one of Dornoch Angling Clubs wild trout waters.

Although it was not due to rain we seem to be suffering from sea fog at the moment which really cools things down.

Anyway, having struggled to find the loch through forestry roads i came upon it and it was a lovely wee loch amoungst the heather. No wading here as you would sink without trace but the banks were good.

Set up with my #4 glass and started working one bank. About 5 mins in I get one of about 1/2 lb on a gosling style peter ross on point ( size 8 so they are not afraid of big flies !)

I then work my way down and about 20 mins later i get another, more 3/4 to 1lb on a black cormorant, again on the point.

I am seeing a splash, then a pause then a pull so i think they are going for the dropper, missing then taking the point fly.

I fish for about 3 hours and land 4 and miss a few. A good wee trip out considering the weather was a wee bit chilly

The last fish is a right bruiser and smashes the fly on the dropper for once ( black and red muddler). It takes to the air and makes a right thump as it re-enters the water. There is a great bend on the rod and the fight is hard. I think this one is somewhere between 1 1/4 and 1 1/2....unfortunately the photo doesnt show its size or how massively fat it was

I'll be back....

Rivers & Lochs / Re: River Don day tickets….
« Last post by Paul Garrigan on 05/05/2024 at 19:45 »
Thanks very much lads. Big Thanks to Noel as well who dropped me some great info. I had a cracking few hours. I spent a bit too much time looking for rising fish. Spotted one and messed up my chance. Then switched up to a klink n dink and Js a few. No monsters but a great way to spend a few hours. That’s me back down in Ayrshire but I’ll be back up soon.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com