Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Bronzebommer

Re: My New Fly Rod
« Reply #30 on: 07/12/2009 at 21:58 »
I was wondering if you took any, Cheers :z16

Bronzebommer

« Reply #31 on: 07/12/2009 at 22:02 »
I would like to write on my new build and varnish over it. What can I use that will not be affected by the varnish? Is there some kind of magical paint pen and if so where can I get my hands on one???? ???

Matt

Mike Barrio

« Reply #32 on: 07/12/2009 at 22:17 »
I would like to write on my new build and varnish over it. What can I use that will not be affected by the varnish? Is there some kind of magical paint pen and if so where can I get my hands on one???? ???

Matt

Try a PM to "spiderman" Sandy, he's good at the writing on blanks thing :wink

I'm sure Rob will know a trick or two as well :wink

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #33 on: 08/12/2009 at 09:26 »
Several options Matt...

Easiest way is to use one of those silver, gold or white "paint" pens used for writing on plastic, card etc. The make I use are called DecoColor, and as you can guess by the spelling, are from the US. They have a medium nib. No need to prepare the blank, just rub down with a wipe, write, leave for 24 hours and use flexcoat or similar over the top.

For a finer line (smaller text) use a "mapping pen". Its just a fountain pen nip that you dip into white ink or Tamiya Acylic modelling paint. Some people prepare the blank by using a very very fine wire wool to remove the surface gloss to guve the ink something to "bit into", but I dont bother. I just wipe the blank and write. I then seal the letters with colour preserver and then epoxy.

Another way is to use transfer paper in a printer and make a transfer for the rod. You cant get white ink on a normal colour printer though! Apply the transfer (normally a water based one) and then seal with colour preserver and epoxy.

Lastly, use Lettraset transfers and add the words individually, then epoxy.

Hope that all makes sense..

Bronzebommer

« Reply #34 on: 08/12/2009 at 09:45 »
Thanks Rob.    :z16

Matt

Bronzebommer

« Reply #35 on: 08/12/2009 at 10:37 »
Rob
Would the Pro Rod Sealer from Guides and Blanks be ok for sealing over the Acrylic Paint? If not could you suggest anything else?

http://www.guidesnblanks.com/product.php?product_id=98

I fould the Tamiya Acrylic paint online at

http://www.etamiya.co.uk/

Matt

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #36 on: 08/12/2009 at 15:38 »
Matt, I only every use epoxy to seal.

I always add any writing between wraps..as in the photo...that way the epoxy forms a nice, smoth join from whipping check, over thread, over the writing, over thread and onto the blank.

or

If I want the writing further up the blank, then I would add 3 to 5 turns of thread/metallic thread either side to act as "buffers for the epoxy. Just looks better in my opinion, although I have also seen it without the thread.

stickleback

« Reply #37 on: 08/12/2009 at 20:53 »

Matt

I read up on this for my second rod build and if my hand writing wasn't so crap  :oops I was going to use a Pilot Metallic X-Fine Pen (you can a pack of two, silver and gold, at Tesco for around £4).  The suggested method I latched on to was do a thin layer of epoxy on the blank, let it dry, then write on top, let it dry, then do another layer of epoxy over it to seal.   Due to my dodgy writing I used water slide decals instead - it looks very nice, but manufactured as opposed to hand crafted if you know what I mean.

Bronzebommer

« Reply #38 on: 09/12/2009 at 19:06 »
I was considering that, but as the rod has black rings, whippings and reel seat I think it would look silly with silver or gold writing on. I did buy a white paint marker pen but decided against it. Today I bought some 'Tamiya' Acrylic paint in 'German Grey' from the model shop in Inverurie and plan to put it on with a mapping pen. It should be easy enough to read but not jump out at you. :z12
Funny you should mention the Pilot Metallic X-Fine Pens, I had them in the trolly while at Tesco today but left them out at the checkout. You would'nt beleive how much thought I have given this.
Matt

stickleback

« Reply #39 on: 09/12/2009 at 20:16 »
You would'nt beleive how much thought I have given this.
Matt

I know what you mean - applying the final touch is fraught with danger - one wrong move and it could end in tears. 

That's handy to know there's a model shop in Inverurie - is it The Flat, 2 North Street, Inverurie (from Google) ?

Bronzebommer

« Reply #40 on: 09/12/2009 at 21:20 »
Thats the one. :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #41 on: 10/12/2009 at 08:44 »
Matt, if you want a truely "Stealth" look, use black ink! I know it sounds daft, but because carbon is that amazing graphite colour in the sun, the black actually looks really smart and shows up in the light!!!

By the way, if you make a mistake, use alcohol to remove the paint/ink. You get about 5 goes at it before the blank starts to mark...and apply any whippings AFTER you get the writing correct.

Also, place the blank between two books so the surface of the blank is the same height as the book. This way you rest your hand on the book and its much steadier for when you write.

I have not worked out how to get good writing around the blank yet, only along it.

Bronzebommer

« Reply #42 on: 10/12/2009 at 11:01 »
I was considering the Black but was'nt sure if it would come out ok. I'm going back to the shop tomorrow to get some more paint so I will pick some black up and have a look.

Matt

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #43 on: 10/12/2009 at 11:25 »
Tackle Tart!! ;)

Or is the paint for your model oil rig?

Bronzebommer

« Reply #44 on: 10/12/2009 at 11:37 »
That’s a bit amateurish, I'm going for a scale replica of the Eckofisk! :z3 Top that. :z7

By the way they have that model made up in the model shop in Inverurie.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com