Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Liam Stephen

French Nymphing
« on: 27/01/2012 at 21:21 »
Has anyone tried this method or similar for the troots on the Don? Any success?

After reading a hell of a lot of articles over the past few months I think I have it figured, it seems straight forward enough. Short line, low diameters, leaded bugs and so on...  I'd like to give a bash early on next season, I have a few potential areas in mind to try it out, all thats left to do now is tie a few nymphs and bugs. Any thoughts on the matter?

Roll on season 2012!!  :z16 :z16

Cheers
Liam

Iain Goolager

Re: French Nymphing
« Reply #1 on: 27/01/2012 at 21:47 »
Liam,

Never tried it and it seems geared towards picking spooky fish from skinny water using small nymphs, could be fun.  Whereas close to us there are many more fish holding pots which I'm going to try and tackle more thoughtfully this year. :roll then again I'm more than happy wandering about with an unused dry.

Glad to see you giving it a go & hopefully you will pick up some fish. A couple of seasons ago I tried upstream/ across stream nymphing using longish leaders (20 - 22 foot) with an 18" section of greased Hi-Viz backing inserted in the mono leader. It was good fun seeing the 'indicator' stab away but there were times when the wind had me wishing I wasn't such a twat, the largest fish I recall was 1lbish but there were plenty of smaller stuff and the fishing is exciting from a visual aspect.

Iain

I'd guess small tungsten beaded PTN's, GRHE's, shrimps and olive nymphs would be a good place to start.

Iain

Liam Stephen

Re: French Nymphing
« Reply #2 on: 27/01/2012 at 21:55 »
Great advice as usual Iain  :z16.

Might give the upstream nymphing a go instead then  :z12.

Cheers
Liam

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com