Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Orkney browns on the dry
« on: 11/07/2012 at 10:10 »
Hi folks,

due to some training courses etc we have left it late to book a summer break and now because 'we' havent done our dieting/shopping 'I' might get a week in Orkney in the middle of august.  :z4 Fishing pretty much all over the mainland island. Harry, Boardhouse, Kirbuster, Swanny etc.

I've been up a few times and always fished wets as I've had no success on the dries. lots of splashing but apart from one foul hooked I have yet to land one on the dry.

So the question is... what should I be tying :? :?

I've got all the usual materials and moderate ability.

I've tied tiny klinks, CDC's, shipmans, suspenders, even ginked up the odd bibio. but no matter what i do with them they won't take them. I've got a pocket full of leader material down to one pound BS to try and fool them but it doesnt seem to matter. Fullers earth being used by the bucket. doesnt seem to matter what i cast or how it lands/drifts they splash and splash til its drowned and still dont take it. twitch it under the surface and they'll sometimes take. But I'd really like to fool a wild one off the top!!

Any recommendations or experiences would be most appreciated.  :z18

Cheers,

Colin.

Rob Brownfield

Re: Orkney browns on the dry
« Reply #1 on: 11/07/2012 at 10:23 »
Don't they like them big up there??

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 11/07/2012 at 18:08 »
Yes, I was going to suggest big Sedgehogs, Snatchers, Kates and Claret Bumbles retrieved quickly through the waves :z3

Best wishes
Mike

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #3 on: 11/07/2012 at 19:27 »
12's and 10's did it for me, I had one of 4lb from swannay on an orange invicta size 12, I had 10 up to a lb on Hundland

nothing less than size 12, Blae and black, claret bumble, orange invicta, black and pearl spider,all worked for me,
easgach 1

« Reply #4 on: 13/07/2012 at 20:58 »
It's confirmed, off to Orkney in August!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait!

Thank you for the tips guys. :z18

4 pounder from swannay! the stuff that dreams are made of, well done! I've not had any specimens from any loch up there, a few keepers ( 10 inchers, which i count as specimens :z4) but nothing huge like that.

Was wondering if anyone has fished a static dry presented to a rising fish for the wild browns? Any tips for the vice on that score?

Time to start tying way more flies than i could hope to use in a week! :z2

Thanks again,

Colin.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #5 on: 14/07/2012 at 00:57 »
When in August Colin?  We're heading up there fist week 4th to 11th.  If you're around i'll show you how i set up with the dries and what flies i use.  Tend to fish about 90% of the time on dries with retrieve and pattern choice depending on conditions, flylife, what loch etc.

As a rule of thumb, 12's and 14's about right, plenty sedges around this time of year so Hogs are vital in olive, claret and nat hare's ear.  Dirty yellow also good in 14's for Cow Dungs.

Hoppers also a must along with daddies, Bibio Emerger, Black and White and Corrie Killer.

Snatchers (olive for shrimp), claret or black (buzzers), Silver Invicta (sedge or general attractor) Peach Muddler or Dunkeld (Daphina) handy to have for times when you need to break the surface.

Nothing like an extensive list, just a few you might want to tuck into the box.

Cheers

Allan L

« Reply #6 on: 14/07/2012 at 08:39 »
Thanks Allan,  :z18

Unfortunately we're going 11th to 18th  :X1 (so leave a trout or two for me  :X2) would of been great to meet up! Thanks for the tips I'll whip up a few of each and try them all. I sometimes feel each bay and point and drift has something different hatching on it and the  :z15 are always switched on!

I'll get tying, and post a few examples of what i'm taking when i get home (working in egypt the now and praying for some rain. 44 deg C :mad the now!) Then we can compare trips in the reports section.  :z3

Thanks again for the help and tips. Tight lines!

Cheers,

Colin.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #7 on: 14/07/2012 at 22:20 »
There's a fish at the end of every fence.

Pity we'll miss each other, hope the fish are biting for us both.

« Reply #8 on: 15/07/2012 at 22:48 »
aye it's a shame, would of been good to compare notes.

Really looking forward to getting up there and wetting a line. just looked back and not been up for three years! Apparently there is no comparison between sun loungers and wood burning stoves, I'll keep trying to convince her otherwise.

At the end of every fence and quite often behind me once I've waded into a position that must be near a monster!

All the best

Colin

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com