Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

SWFF
« on: 17/07/2009 at 16:21 »
As the Mrs was getting up at 06:30 for  work and I was off I decided I would do a bit of SWFF and catch the Early tide at Sanford bay.
I have a Diawa Wilderness 9ft-9 weight , 6 piece which is ideal to stick in the rucksack. There were a couple of guys at the PowerStation out let so that was out , I fished round Sanford bay with no success , wind in my face and lots of sea-weed , still it got me out of bed. 

What  you really need for SWFF is deep water close in , so I decided to try and find some in the afternoon , I drove to the Bullers of Buchan , this is a costal path that runs between there and  Boddam , it’s a really spectacular walk , it’s a bit dodgy though , particularly in the heavy rain , I walked about 3 miles back towards Boddam , but could not find any suitable spots .   

I did find  a cliff where someone had driven posts and put a rope down , now unless your second hobby is mountaineering I would not try it , a little further on was a memorial stone to two guys who died climbing the cliff in 1967.

So if you fancy a spectacular cliff top walk with loads of sea birds and nesting raptors this is the place for  you  , not any good for SWFF though.

Next time I'm going to head to the beaches north of Peterhead.

Oh and I should have taken the camera , some cracking phto opertunities  :oops

:z18

Jim

Noel Kelly

Re: SWFF
« Reply #1 on: 17/07/2009 at 16:56 »
I have been thinking about having a go recently myself Jim so if you find any hot spots dont forget to pm  :z4. I have read elsewhere cruden bay beach has potential.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 17/07/2009 at 19:07 »
Will do Noel , Paul and I fished Cruden Bay beach last year , we only got poddlies. It did look like a good spot though. There is a decent number of Sea-trout that run the burn as well,  mind you we would not be deliberately tagreting them  :wink

Jim 

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 17/07/2009 at 19:11 »
Any flounders on the fly @ Cruden Bay Jim?

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 17/07/2009 at 19:18 »
Nope Iain it was all Saith/coalies. There are plenty flukes there though , I think we hit it on a bad day. The only downside was the touists its a pretty busy beach and you have to watch your back cast.

I found it quite humourous , there was a bus load of chinese students arrived , they came down and sympathised with me as I was only catching small fish , they thought i was a subsistance fisherman doing it for a living  :z4

Jim

Noel Kelly

« Reply #5 on: 17/07/2009 at 21:35 »
Jim your forgetting that Im a foreigner, what the feck are poddlies ???
The Chinese have great interest in fishing, Im sure you have featured in a lot of holiday snaps after that incident  :z4

PDScott

« Reply #6 on: 17/07/2009 at 21:46 »
Hi Jim,
If you park in the car park at the end of the road leading to Slains Castle (at the bend in the road leading to Cruden Bay) and walk down the track towards the sea, there is access to some flat rocks close to sea level. I think the area is called Meikle Partans and is used frequently by climbers. I climbed there many years ago and if memory serves me well, it shoud be possible to cast from the flat rocks.
All the best
Peter

cameronpack

« Reply #7 on: 20/07/2009 at 13:14 »
Can yous tell a dummie how to make sure their gear is clean and wont corrode after a session of swff?
Thanks folks
Cam :)

Jim Eddie

« Reply #8 on: 20/07/2009 at 15:34 »
Noel

Podlies are Scottish vernacular for very small sea fish , bandies are the trout equivilent.

Re cleaning your gear you just need to give your rod , reel and line a wash down with fresh water.

Jim

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 20/07/2009 at 16:02 »
There are plenty of spots to try...including off the main walls at Peterhead :)...use a shooting head and pay out the running line. I have had Cod doing this :)

Some of the smaller harbours are well worth a go especially for Makeral.

Shallow water can produce, chose a warm, overcast day..look for Mullet and Bass, especially further North.

Esturies can be fantastic if you don't mind the hassle  :roll but there is nothing to stop you fly fishing for salt water species in tidal water, including esturies, unless there are bylaws in place such as the mouth of the Dee.

cameronpack

« Reply #10 on: 20/07/2009 at 17:02 »
How about the Deveron at Banff?

Jim Eddie

« Reply #11 on: 20/07/2009 at 18:50 »
Can yous tell a dummie how to make sure their gear is clean and wont corrode after a session of swff?
Thanks folks

Thanks Peter I'll need to check that out  :z16

Jim

Jim Eddie

« Reply #12 on: 20/07/2009 at 18:54 »
How about the Deveron at Banff?

I could be wrong but I think you should be O.K. as long as you are not deliberately targetting migratory species , best o check it out first though.

I've seen some one set up with a beach caster on the shingle bank just down from the bridge on the Macduff side of the river.

Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com