Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Richard Williamson

Hello from a newbie
« on: 14/07/2023 at 12:18 »
Hello all.
I'm a complete newcomer to fly fishing having last coarse fished around 45(ish) years ago as a child. My son and to some extent my daughter are interested in fishing having had fly casting lessons at school recently.

We stay in Sutherland and I can almost throw a stone into the Cassley, Oykel and Shin rivers respectively. It's also a short drive for me/us over to Assynt. I/we are interested in getting started with wild trout fishing on the lochs and lochans around us. I'll probably have lots of silly questions to ask so please be kind; If its very silly I'll pretend my son is asking!

Best wishes,
Richard

Mike Barrio

Re: Hello from a newbie
« Reply #1 on: 14/07/2023 at 13:43 »
Hi Richard

Great stuff, you are certainly based in a fantastic area for fly fishing!

I'm really impressed that your son and daughter have had fly casting lessons at school - that's awesome  :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 14/07/2023 at 14:32 »
Richard
I'm just back from a week's fishing in your neck of the woods. I fished loch Shin , Merkland , Graham (sp) I also fished the Cassley down from Duchally power station. There is a track there which will take you to the Fion lochs which are stuffed with fish.
My biggest fish were from Merkland, best loch for bigger fish is behind Corriekinloch, my mates had nothing under 2lb, to much of a climb for me these days , they are younger and fitter than me but still took the 90 minutes to get up the hill  :)

Lidl have a good deal on fly fishing starter kits at the moment £35 for rod , reel and everything you would need, I'm guessing your nearest Lidl would be Tain.
Cheers
Jim

Richard Williamson

« Reply #3 on: 17/07/2023 at 10:53 »
Hi Richard

Great stuff, you are certainly based in a fantastic area for fly fishing!

I'm really impressed that your son and daughter have had fly casting lessons at school - that's awesome  :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Hi Mike.
Yes, once I realised the area was so good for fishing I thought that it would be rude not to try!

My daughter won the furthest cast and most accurate cast competition at school. The school then went to the pond over at Dornoch on a school outing and was the only girl to catch a trout. She was so pleased (and we were too for her).

Richard Williamson

« Reply #4 on: 17/07/2023 at 10:56 »
Richard
I'm just back from a week's fishing in your neck of the woods. I fished loch Shin , Merkland , Graham (sp) I also fished the Cassley down from Duchally power station. There is a track there which will take you to the Fion lochs which are stuffed with fish.
My biggest fish were from Merkland, best loch for bigger fish is behind Corriekinloch, my mates had nothing under 2lb, to much of a climb for me these days , they are younger and fitter than me but still took the 90 minutes to get up the hill  :)

Lidl have a good deal on fly fishing starter kits at the moment £35 for rod , reel and everything you would need, I'm guessing your nearest Lidl would be Tain.
Cheers
Jim
Hi Jim.
Thanks so much for the information. I'll be sure to try out a few of those places,

My wife went to Tain Lidl yesterday but unfortunately there were no kits left. I'll be into Inverness soon so will try the couple of Lidl's in town.

Best wishes,
Richard

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com