Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Bryan Redd

Stillwater fly: Blue Flash Damsel?
« on: 19/03/2023 at 15:16 »
I'm on the hunt for a good Blue Flash Damsel pattern/recipe to tie for my Stillwater fishing.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Cheers,

Bryan

Duncan Inglis

Re: Stillwater fly: Blue Flash Damsel?
« Reply #1 on: 26/03/2023 at 08:30 »
Loads of patterns on YouTube. Lindsay Simpson’s version posted a few weeks ago looks good though I haven’t tried it yet. Davie McPhail also has a nice tying.

Bryan Redd

« Reply #2 on: 15/04/2023 at 16:25 »
Duncan,

Yes, thank you. I've seen Davie's and Lindsay's versions.

Cheers,
Bryan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 29/04/2023 at 12:11 »
( This is a back up post - originally posted by Robert MacDonald-Lewis )

I used a simple wee blue and black lure earlier in the year with some reasonable success. The patter is:

Hook: Standard wet fly hook (size 10 or 12)
Thread: Black
Beads: Silver chain bead, I used small but size to suit hook and weight needed.
Tail: Black Marabou with 2-3 strands of olive/gold flash over
Rib: Silver wire
Body: Light blue dubbing (I used Vicuña dubbing but whatever you have will do)
Hackle: Dyed Blue Grizzly palmered (I like a softish "henny cock" for palmered hackles)

I tied this fly quite sparsely. The body colour is closer to kingfisher blue than navy, but the exact shade probably doesn't matter to be honest.

I suspect the pattern is not that immportant, the general colour scheme and profile is what to concentrate on. You could vary most of the components and still produce a fly that works. Experiment with different flash, ribbing and beads are the obvious and relatively easy ones. A crinkled flash might be a good choice and standard beads would work equally well.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com