Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jonathan Kerr

fishing the coast...
« on: 20/01/2012 at 19:14 »
Hi folks,

I dont write on here much..but i do enjoy a good read.  :grin  This is a great wee forum.

I was just tying some flies up tonight that i use for sea trout in the sea around shetland (minnow/sandeel type patterns) and it got me thinking...do the sea trout around the north east hang around the coast line much, scouring rocky bays and beaches for food etc, or do they spend most of their time in and around the rivers themselves?

In shetland we have no rivers, so much of the wild sea trout and salmon spawn up smaller burns and we have great fun fishing for them in bays around the coast.  I just wondered if this type of fishing happens much down here? I know places like ythan estuary have fish of course, but i was thinking on a much smaller scale.

not looking for places specifically, but just curious about sea trout behaviour in the sea around here.  I do plan to fish the rivers of course, but fly fishing in the sea really is fantastic too!

Rob Brownfield

Re: fishing the coast...
« Reply #1 on: 21/01/2012 at 00:14 »
I wish I has an answer for you as I really fancy fishing in the sea for Sea Trout. I have asked this question several times and never got a definative answer.

However, you can fish for them in the sea at Inverbervie and Stonehaven, but you need a ticket for both places.

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 21/01/2012 at 12:20 »
...do the sea trout around the north east hang around the coast line much, scouring rocky bays and beaches for food etc, or do they spend most of their time in and around the rivers themselves?

In general, it's accepted that Sea Trout populations travel some distance following/looking for prey from their 'home' rivers. There are no hard and fast rules with regard to distance travelled because different 'populations' from around the UK behave slightly differently (that's down to local conditions) but in the region of 30 miles from their 'home' river isn't unreasonable. Sea Trout once they've smolted head to sea to fatten up but in contrast Salmon (which are away for one winter or more) Sea Trout may run their river (or indeed another river) after just a few weeks - hence finnock.
The smaller juvenile Sea Trout (Finnock) often 'hang around' estuarine waters but their larger more mature bretherin are more itinerant in nature.
Sea Trout - I love 'em  :cool:

In shetland we have no rivers, so much of the wild sea trout and salmon spawn up smaller burns and we have great fun fishing for them in bays around the coast.  I just wondered if this type of fishing happens much down here? I know places like ythan estuary have fish of course, but i was thinking on a much smaller scale.
Sea Trout will nearly always find their way to any small burn entering the sea and nose around for food, so speculative coastal fishing is always worth a punt but it's not done all that much (except at well known locations) on the Aberdeenshire coast. As you say, In Shetland and Orkney it's common practice to fish in the salt for Sea Trout but few folk venture out to try it IMHO.

not looking for places specifically, but just curious about sea trout behaviour in the sea around here.  I do plan to fish the rivers of course, but fly fishing in the sea really is fantastic too!
Indeed it is, salt water fly fishing in the UK has become a new addiction for me. In a few weeks time I'll be speaking to an old chum about Sea Trout populations, their feeding behaviour and a few other things Sea Trout related so will chin him for some more info.
Research by the Moray Firth Sea Trout Project may also yield some useful information for you.

H :z3

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #3 on: 21/01/2012 at 12:59 »
thanks for the detailed reply hamish  :z16

i think i might start wandering the coast this year and keep my eyes open for sea trouty places!

I wouldn't even mind going for other species too, but from what i've heard there just isn't as much fish around the coast as there used to be. 

roll on the new season  :z4

cheers, J

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com