Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

John Reid

Microfibbets
« on: 08/03/2011 at 23:24 »
I am struggling to get the microfibbets to splay to form a three pronged tail.  Can someone explain how you fix these and get them to splay.  I have tried pushing them vertical with my thumb and using a figure of 8 between the fibbets but they want to stay together when I tie them back down.  I can split them with a dubbing needle when completed and they look the part but I fear they will merge as soon as I start fishing them.

Does anyone have a tip on how to resolve this?

Sandy Nelson

Re: Microfibbets
« Reply #1 on: 09/03/2011 at 00:08 »
Hi John

I covered dry fly tails ages ago on this thread
http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1520.0

however you may notice I dislike microfibbetts, the technique will also work with the fibbetts
but for tails I will always go for Coc de Leon  :z16

cheers

Sandy

Peter McCallum

« Reply #2 on: 09/03/2011 at 07:25 »
have a look at ollie edwards video, he does this on a couple of dry flys as well as his baetis nymph

ramjet

« Reply #3 on: 09/03/2011 at 10:27 »
Hi John

I agree with sandy regarding the coq de leon. It makes things so much easier :z16. If you need to use the fibbets then check out davie mcphails sherry spinner video it may give you some help.

Take care

Alan

John Reid

« Reply #4 on: 09/03/2011 at 13:51 »
Thanks for the comments guys.  I have coq de leon and have had similar issues with it.  I will try these techniques tonight at the vice.

I suppose practice will make perfect.

What are your thoughts on trimming a traditionally tied hackle or folding all the fibers above the hook shank to allow it to sit better on the water?

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 10/03/2011 at 22:43 »
What are your thoughts on trimming a traditionally tied hackle or folding all the fibers above the hook shank to allow it to sit better on the water?

Honestly? :z6 I think you should choose a hackle of the correct fibre length before you tie the fly :z16
Practice proportions as well as techniques, its very satisfying and it doesn't take long before you will pick the correct hackles on Auto :z18
If you want to have no fibres below the fly, clip it into a shallow V underneath.

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com