Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Water Voles
« on: 25/08/2012 at 23:00 »
I've seen a few water voles at Haddo recently, three or four in the last two days ....... this is good news as there used to be lots of them, but I hadn't seen any ( not one ) for about five years!

Best wishes
Mike

Marc Fauvet

Re: Water Voles
« Reply #1 on: 26/08/2012 at 08:55 »
Time to tie up some big juicy imitations !!! :z13

Irvine Ross

« Reply #2 on: 26/08/2012 at 14:52 »
That would show that the mink erradication scheme is working.

Good news and very encouraging for those of us who have been checking mink rafts these past few years. :z16

Irvine

Ewan Lindsay

« Reply #3 on: 26/08/2012 at 15:12 »
Yep, I saw one walking across the path just past the inlet pipe when I was walking to the hut on Friday Mike.

Ewan

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 27/08/2012 at 11:44 »
Unfortunately my cat is slowly eradicting them from our place.  :mad

But she is also removing rats, mice, stoats and rabbits.  :z16

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #5 on: 02/09/2012 at 19:14 »
Surprised your cat is taking stoats, not the easiest of prey, very good at taking rats as well as rabbits , there was a mink killed in a trap at Kinlochewe this last week , so the mink are getting further north, easgach 1

Loxiafan

« Reply #6 on: 03/09/2012 at 10:22 »
I have been seeing a few more WV's when out and about too, particularly when sitting quietly waiting for a fish. Great news ! Also, at one beat a Barn Owl hunts for them at dusk so presumably they are there in some numbers.

Lindsay

Duncan McRae

« Reply #7 on: 03/09/2012 at 15:25 »
Yes,it's great to hear that the voles are making a comeback.I haven't spotted any in the Inverurie area since the 1980s.They used to be really common.
Unfortunately,there seems to be an upsurge in mink numbers.I heard yesterday of one recently set mink trap, close to Inverurie, which has trapped five in the last week or so.

Duncan

Iain Cameron

« Reply #8 on: 05/09/2012 at 14:40 »
I've seen a few water voles at Haddo recently...

An item from a presentation at this week's British Science Festival here at the University of Aberdeen - http://www.abdn.ac.uk/2012/ -  re the wanderlust of young water voles.

Apparently they do go quite a distance looking for love!
http://www.abdn.ac.uk/news/details-13094.php

Iain Cameron

« Reply #9 on: 03/10/2012 at 10:47 »

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com