Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Alan Madden

Australian small rivers
« on: 22/07/2012 at 11:31 »

Alan Madden

Re: Australian small rivers
« Reply #1 on: 22/07/2012 at 11:41 »
I wasn't sure if the photos I was trying to post would actually reach here - but they have.

They are of a couple of small rivers in northern Victoria - the first pretty rugged, the second winding through pastureland.

I don't think either of them are stocked now though since trout are not native they must have been stocked some time.

The rugged one, the King, has some biggish fish but I've yet to catch anything bigger than 1 lb.

More pics of the King higher up coming soon.

Because I tend to fish midweek, and camp for two or three days, I sometimes don't see another soul - or even hear an internal combustion engine all the time. I love the isolation though I'm always a bit worried about an injury.

The rivers are mostly surrounded by thick almost impenetrable scrub - Australian scrub and rubble that tends to keep falling off tall gums. So you have to find a way in, usually march up the river because you can't get out, and hope for the river to come close to the road again so you can find an exit point.

Of course, the harder the river is to get around in, the fewer people fish it.

I really enjoy the hot Aussie summer days when you can wet wade up the river in air temperatures in the 30s (celsius) and if you get hot, just sit down.

Hope you enjoy the pics, I'll post a few more now that I know hoe.

Alan

Alan Madden

« Reply #2 on: 22/07/2012 at 12:08 »

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 22/07/2012 at 12:43 »
Loving it  :z16

Iain

Loxiafan

« Reply #4 on: 22/07/2012 at 15:26 »
... I sometimes don't see another soul - or even hear an internal combustion engine all the time.

Heaven ! Where do I sign up ?  :z16

Have been checking out stuff from Snowy Mountains in NSW on Youtube recently, looks fantastic as does your river.

Lindsay

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 22/07/2012 at 21:24 »
Awesome photos Alan, thanks for sharing :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Jim Eddie

« Reply #6 on: 22/07/2012 at 22:36 »
Alan thanks for posting the photos, some really nice looking rivers, not what I would imagine from Austraia.

:z18

Jim

Noel Kelly

« Reply #7 on: 22/07/2012 at 22:39 »
Lovely pics :z16 what's the story with the egg in the first pic?

Alan Madden

« Reply #8 on: 22/07/2012 at 22:56 »
The egg was sitting on a rock right in the middle of the river - just as photographed. Duck I guess and the dumb bird thought it was safe from foxes etc.  It was balanced on its end like that so I photographed it and left it there.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #9 on: 22/07/2012 at 23:04 »
Ah so I may get to do some trout fishing after all  :z14

Alan do you live in Oz?  :cool:

Cheers
Liam

Alan Madden

« Reply #10 on: 22/07/2012 at 23:25 »
Yes I live in Melbourne    about 100 - 150 miles south of these rivers.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #11 on: 22/07/2012 at 23:31 »
Do you know of any trout fishing over on the east? I'm moving to Perth in the next couple of months and hope to keep the fishing up  :z16

Cheers
Liam

Alan Madden

« Reply #12 on: 22/07/2012 at 23:44 »
Sorry, Liam, as far as I know there are absolutely no trout in WA.

Trout were introduced in Tasmania, then Victoria and NSW about 150 years ago but I think WA was thought to be too hot - probably right.

However, WA has some fantastic salt water fishing, especally further north - Broome and up there - and I think there is some great saltwater fly fishing. I haven't tried it but on the tv it looks great.

DON'T FORGET THE SUN CREAM.

Alan Madden

« Reply #13 on: 23/07/2012 at 02:34 »

Glad you guys are enjoying my posts.

These pics are of the Goulburn River which is one of the largest around here - about  2 hours drive from Melbourne.
It's a strange river. The photographs show it over a period of a day or two when it was running low. The Goulburn runs through cleared farmland and unlike most rivers around here has easy access.

In summer, especially in drought years, Victorian rivers heat up and dry up a bit. (Not always, last couple of years after ten year drought, we had summer floods.) So the fish go deep. Or die off if it's extreme. Which is why many of these rivers can only maintain small fish.

But the Goulburn is different. These photos show the river downstream from Eildon Weir which is an enormous artificial lake damming the Gouburn- built 50-60 years or so I think. Very deep. Down from the dam is the pondage which is a kind of buffer for releases from the dam. The pondage then releases into the river about 5 km up from the pics.

The releases into the pondage/river depend on irrigation needs of farmers on the banks of the Goulburn. And can happen very quickly - on one trip I was comfortably set up on a little peninsula in the middle of the pondage (seat, all the gear, flask and lunch) when one of these releases happened. I was knee-deep within 5 minutes and scuttled back to dry land.

The Goulburn levels can go  from 100-150 MLD (mega litres per day) to 5000 MLD overnight. Rising and falling by 3 or 4 metres. The releases tend to happen during summer - when the growers need the water.

This results in the Goulburn behaving in the opposite way - upside down - to the other rivers because the water comes from deep in Eildon Weir and is considerably colder than surface water. So more oxygen inthe water, more active fish etc. The reverse happens in autumn and winter when the released water can be warmer than surface water.

Unfortunately, the river is easy to get to (and there's a handy pub, fish 'n' chips and a great fly shop - google the Goulburn Valley Fly Fishing if you're interested) and is heavily fished by bait plonkers and spinners as well as fly fishers which results in well educated fish - every brown trout in the river has a B.E. (bachelor's degree in entomology) with a post graduate diploma in how to avoid dumb fly fishers. You have to seriously match the hatch and be careful about presentation and creeping along the bank.

On the other hand, the river feeds several fish farms - brown and rainbow, some atlantic salmon - and these farms periodically stock the river. Every year or so, usually around the start of the season, they release I think up to abut 10,000 fish, mostly fingerlings but also a few hundred big uns. And two or three big fish are tagged - if you catch one of these, report it to the fisheries dept and you've won (I think I got this right) $A25,000 (about 18,000 pounds). They aren't caught every year but two years ago a 14-year-old kid caught one. Sure brings the tourists in.

Alan

Alan Madden

« Reply #14 on: 25/07/2012 at 09:15 »
I hope I'm not boring you all but some of you might even make it out here one day.

Below an article about local lakes:

Trout stocking delivers best fishing in 30 years

A man releasing tout into the riverVictorian recreational fishers are enjoying the best trout fishing in 30 years thanks to extensive fish stocking programs and the end of the drought.

Drought recovery trout stockings are now delivering outstanding results, with young trout released two years ago now providing some fantastic opportunities for the state’s anglers.

As a result of more than a decade of drought, many lakes with high quality trout fisheries in central and south west Victoria dried up, but when rains arrived in the spring of 2010, many of them filled rapidly and came back to life.

Fisheries Victoria together with recreational fishers moved quickly to rapidly stock an extra 187,000 trout into 14 formerly drought-affected lakes and reservoirs. Since then the conditions have been ideal for those fish and their growth rates have been exceptional.

As a result, trout fishing in some Victorian lakes and reservoirs is now as good you will find in the iconic trout fishing destinations of Tasmania and New Zealand.

There are reports of 75 gram trout released into Lake Bolac in late 2010 being caught 12 months later weighing three kilograms. That is a phenomenal growth rate that is also being reported at a number of other lakes where young trout were released, including Lake Burrumbeet where 2 kg trout are caught regularly. Since 2010, 25,000 rainbow trout have been stocked into Lake Burrumbeet. A further 5000 brown trout will be released into the lake in August.

The $231,000 drought recovery trout stocking program was funded from revenue from the sale of recreational fishing licences.

The program has provided valuable economic stimulus to drought-affected regions thanks to its effectiveness in attracting an increasing number of recreational anglers to those areas.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com