Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Hi Liam :z16

Hope you are settling in well Down Under!

Have you been fishing anywhere yet, or found anywhere to plan your first outing on the water?

Cheers
Mike

Liam Stephen

Re: The Young Gun from Oz ( Hello Liam! .... Wakey Wakey! )
« Reply #1 on: 06/11/2012 at 02:41 »
Hey Mike  :z16

Sorry for taking so long to reply, I've been without Internet for a week now due to moving house.

I'm getting on great here just loving it!  :z12 Missing the back home (proper) fishing though. I've been out on the water a dozen or so times, fished off the rocks and in the Swan river. I'm away to join a Fly club here,  TheSaltwaterFlyRodders but must admit the 5wt hasnt been out too often. I've been targeting Bream and Flathead on lures, awesome fun! I've caught a handful of fish, a few different species. No pics yet though, sorry  :oops. I have a Breaming trip planned for the weekend though so I'll do my best to get a good report up.

Nice to hear from you, hope you're doing well? Any new lines on the horizon?

Cheers
Liam

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 06/11/2012 at 09:13 »
Ahhh, Flatheads. Awesome fun on the right gear. Try the 5 weight for them with sparkly flies fished near the bottom :)

I used a 5lb line class spinning rod with small mepps or "bar" lures.

As for Bream..of should I call them Brim, they can be taken on the fly too. Use shrimpy looking pattens.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 06/11/2012 at 09:27 »
Hi Liam,

How are my waders holding up?

Cheers

Ben

Liam Stephen

« Reply #4 on: 06/11/2012 at 10:38 »
Rob,

Seems you know a thing or two about the fishing here then? I've had a baby 20cm Flattie on the 5 wt so far, it took a Pearly Gotcha. You're right it was awesome! I've got a sweet little spinning combo also and have been flicking Hardbodies and Soft Plastics around the snags with good success.

Still to get a 'Brim'' on the fly, will keep trying though!

Ben you have a PM.

Cheers
Liam

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 06/11/2012 at 15:29 »
Liam, I hope I know a little, I lived out that way and had a 6 week fishing holiday driving up the East coast of Oz fishing everyday :)

Flatheads are everywhere, but on the right gear a laugh. I even managed a couple trolling Rapalas in the Noosa River.

One of the tactics I used to use was to fish a whole sardine and a 5 oz lead and log it out into the breakers. The diversity of fish was amazing!! I also witnessed a Jew Fish (Grouper) taken off the rocks at Noosa. You could put a small child in its mouth. Enormous fish, and caught from the beach!.

Also sharks...I had them on bait but others fly fished for them ffrom boats.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com