Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Tube Fly question.
« on: 23/02/2012 at 14:16 »
I have noticed that modern tubes seem to be tied on much smaller tubes these days.

All the tubes I tied back in the day were 2-4" tubes surrounded by various shades of bucktail, and the hook was right at the back of the fly.

It seems that these days the tubes are all 3/4 to 2" with a long "wing" and the hook sits roughly in the middle of the fly.

What is the reasoning behind this? I am guessing better hook hold/better swimming attitude in the flow?

Since the tubes are much smaller but the flies are still 2-4", is it a case of tying on a heavy, short tube or a lighter tube but on a sink tip?

Cheers in advance.

Sandy Nelson

Re: Tube Fly question.
« Reply #1 on: 23/02/2012 at 14:44 »
Nice question :z16

My only thoughts on this are,
I think every salmon i've ever caught on a Rapala has been hooked on the centre hook.
So having the hook in the middle of the fly might make for more hook ups :z8

Sandy

Paul Rankine

« Reply #2 on: 23/02/2012 at 18:05 »
Rob,
        You need to beg ,steal or borrow a copy of Mikael Frodin's DVD ""Make 'Em Swim" which pretty much covers the subject. He also does another DVD on Tying Tube Flies which is well worth the money too.

Hope that helps.

Paul.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 23/02/2012 at 19:56 »
Thanks chaps,
Sandy, I think pretty much the only fish I have ever caught on a rear treble on a lure has been Perch. They seem to tail nip a fair bit.

Paul, I will have a look out for the DVD. So the swimming action seems to be the reason?

Cheers

Paul Rankine

« Reply #4 on: 24/02/2012 at 12:12 »
Hi Rob,
             Yep. That seems to be the main reasoning as well as wot sandy said about salmon attacking the middle of the Rapala ( and big tubes too) . Mikael says that's the reason that many times using big tubes the fish are hooked on the outside of the jaw.

I,ve had this on occasion too, seems logical , if anything is in salmon fishing.

Love his wee bit in the video when he says " If the tube is tied perfectly it should look so alive that it could bite the end of the leader off and swim off on it's own . That's the perfect fly ! " Great .

The video is a bit of an ad for his FITS system but don't let that put you off . It does make you think a lot more about  the hydrodynamics of a creating a balanced fly design.

Cheers,

Paul.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 24/02/2012 at 14:00 »
Hi Paul,
Whilst working at Oceaneering I used to test flies, lures and all sorts in the flow tank. Amazing what happens under water, even in a laminar flow.

Even changing from an 10 pound leader to a 12 pound one meant the fly swam 2 inches shallower.

At the time I was more interested in Pike flies, getting them to wiggle in water, but not during the cast, but I like to think I learnt a few things that could be applied to Salmon flies.

Next step for me is to try a few "baitfish" pattens for Salmon that have a lovely attitude in the water. These things really do look alive in testing conditions with subtle flashes and twists.

Knowning my luck, the Salmon won't even look at them.

Hopefully I will get out Monday night for an hour to put some theory into practice.

Paul Rankine

« Reply #6 on: 24/02/2012 at 20:13 »

Hi Rob,
              Good stuff . Don't forget shrimp patterns. Very interested in seeing what you come up with.

Cheers,

Paul.

PS: Thanks for the B+W plug !  :wink

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 24/02/2012 at 20:32 »
Lol..no plug intended..lol..I always preferred B & W rods over Hardy and having once had (and stupidly sold) some very nice rods of theirs I would have been interested in the rod myself if I were not looking at double handers just now.  :z8

I was tying some shrimps last night...on small copper tubes. I will get some doubles tomorrow and I am trying to source a good value jungle cock cape for tying up other flies.

Paul Rankine

« Reply #8 on: 24/02/2012 at 20:46 »
Rob,
        I bought from our very own Flymakers on E-bay. Excellent cape for a bitty below the going price. I recommend them.

If you find better please post it up.

Cheers,

Paul.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 25/02/2012 at 23:44 »
Ended up in Mortimers in Grantown today, got a nice A grade cape for £65. I went for it as not ounly were the eyes a nice sunburst colour, but there were also hundreds of tiny eyes perfect for sea trout/brown trout flies.

Happy bunny.

Been tying Cascades tonight, will be Black backs in various colours tomorrow.

And then I had better tie something with JC!! Maybe a posh tosh?

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #10 on: 26/02/2012 at 20:51 »
For me the question is what hook to use :z8

Been reading through the rules tonight and i guess i could use trebles if i wanted. I don't want too, but a single doesn't swim well with a tube so i'm guessing it's doubles ???

I always used the Salar ones, but i see there are quite a few types on the market now, any preferences???

Going to have to re-stock on salmon flies, seems i gave away most of my flies and tubes when i left the country.
Nice to have Bens nice short list to work with :z16 as a starting point and i still have plenty Bottle tubes to use, not much else appropriate though, i feel a trip to banchory coming on with my intro voucher from the Club :z7

Sandy

Ben Dixon

« Reply #11 on: 26/02/2012 at 22:24 »
I usually use Salar doubles and tie on Veniard Slipstream tubes.  Not over keen on bottle although I do have a few in my box, I find them a bit chunky in profile.  The Veniard super slim bottles are quite nice.

Bring the voucher over Sandy, I'll help you spend it  :z4  I've a Somers voucher to cash in too, I wonder if they sell B175's in packs of 10?

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 26/02/2012 at 22:53 »
I am looking at using carp singles. Apparently, and I have yet to try, the weight of them holds the tube fly on an even keel.

I already have plenty of Owner Cutting Edge hooks that are wickedly sharp and hold extremely well.

Paul Rankine

Re: Tube Fly question.- Hooks
« Reply #13 on: 28/02/2012 at 18:17 »
Hi Sandy,
                I use Partridge Big Mouth doubles, not too pricey like some tube doubles and nice and short . Easy to squash the points down too.

For singles I order from the Togen's website,  (lots of other tubes goodies there too).

Paul.

danbruce

« Reply #14 on: 02/03/2012 at 21:54 »
Wonder if any of the guys on here can help, i am looking at getting an adapter for my vice so i can tie up some tube flies. Catching my first salmon (hopefully one day) will be pretty sweet but doing it on my own fly would make it that little bit sweeter.

So far i have looked at the HMH tube fly adapter and the stonfo tube fly adapter.
Don't know if anyone on here has used either or both?

Cheers,

Dan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com