Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

gunner100

Re: Royal Salmon of Inverbervie?
« Reply #15 on: 08/11/2007 at 11:14 »
Hi again Rob,

You will be able to join the SDAA even if you are outwith the catchment area. We have quite a few members outwith the area. However when membership is oversubscribed the Assn reserves the right to give priority to new applicants from the catchment area. At present the ADAA is able to accept new members subject to approval by the Committee.

Cheers,

Lyall

Mike Barrio

« Reply #16 on: 08/11/2007 at 11:47 »
Great stuff Lyall :z16

It is always nice to see local fishing club details and news on here :cool:

Best wishes
Mike Barrio

gunner100

« Reply #17 on: 08/11/2007 at 19:54 »
Sorry all about the typo. Amend "ADAA " to "SDAA" in my previous post . My apologies.

Lyall

Hamish Young

« Reply #18 on: 20/11/2007 at 04:49 »
Front page of todays P&J -

"Anglers lose right to fish for free". The upshot of the article is the lawyers from the Dee District Salmon Fisheries Board have been successful in getting the ancient decree voided under modern law.

Good thing/bad thing :? Up to you :wink

Does possibly make an interesting precident for recinding previous royal decrees  :shock

Mind you, at least a decision has been reached :z16

gunner100

« Reply #19 on: 20/11/2007 at 14:54 »
Hamish, you quote from the P & J -

"Anglers lose right to fish for free".

It was only the residents of Inverbervie who had the right to fish free, all others , inluding myself, had to pay a small fee to Aberdeenshire Council.

The ancient Royal Charter also gave other rights to the folk of 'Bervie many of which are not compatible with modern law or current accepted practice. I believe one of them was the right to recover wreck in Bervie Bay. I wonder what would happen if the locals tried to excercise that one.

The Stonehaven and District Angling Association has always said that it wishes to cooperate with the locals including the Community Council and responsible anglers to ensure proper management of stocks, modern C & R techniques and the use of only legal methods if the SDAA do accept the offer from the DDSFB to manage the fishings.

Free fishing for Bervie residents may not be lost as the Secretary of the SDAA is quoted in the  " Mearns Leader " of 16/11/07 as saying " I would have thought that they would have been happy to have an angling club organise things on behalf the owner offering fair fishing to all residents free of charge and to others at an appropriate permit price ". I suspect that the real sticking point for many is that only legal methods will be allowed and there would be an enhanced level of supervision.

At the same time, we should really stop women and children working down the mines.

Lyall

Hamish Young

« Reply #20 on: 20/11/2007 at 16:50 »
Hamish, you quote from the P & J -

Isn't that what I said  :?
Front page of todays P&J -

The ancient Royal Charter also gave other rights to the folk of 'Bervie many of which are not compatible with modern law or current accepted practice. I believe one of them was the right to recover wreck in Bervie Bay. I wonder what would happen if the locals tried to excercise that one.

Interesting point, I could email the MCA receiver of wreck about that one - interesting question for them to try and answer :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #21 on: 20/11/2007 at 18:53 »
Free fishing for Bervie residents may not be lost as the Secretary of the SDAA is quoted in the  " Mearns Leader " of 16/11/07 as saying " I would have thought that they would have been happy to have an angling club organise things on behalf the owner offering fair fishing to all residents free of charge and to others at an appropriate permit price ". I suspect that the real sticking point for many is that only legal methods will be allowed and there would be an enhanced level of supervision.

Not too sure about that Lyall ........... I don't think that anybody in Inverbervie or the North East is concerned about the supervision of legal methods ( except the folk that have been "snagging" etc ) the real anglers of Inverbervie will have no problem with it.

If I were on the committee of the Stonehaven Angling Association, I think I would be deeply concerned about what this whole affair is doing for the "perception" of my club within North East angling circles. There is a very strong feeling out there ........ a feeling that the normal, honest Inverbervie angler is "having something taken away from them!" or as many put it "being ripped off".

One solution might possibly be to rename the SDAA ...... The Stonehaven and Inverbervie Angling Association :? Just a suggestion .......

Best wishes
Mike

gunner100

« Reply #22 on: 20/11/2007 at 19:20 »

Not too sure about that Lyall ........... I don't think that anybody in Inverbervie or the North East is concerned about the supervision of legal methods ( except the folk that have been "snagging" etc ) the real anglers of Inverbervie will have no problem with it.

Mike,

I think that is the whole point, it is only the "snaggers" who will have anything to lose. The Secretary of the SDAA is already on record, see my post of today,  "  offering fair fishing to all residents free of charge and to others at an appropriate permit price " The others would be residents outside the Bervie area. If the "normal, honest Inverbervie angler" is being offered the same as they had before, what is being taken away from them?

It is regrettable that the "perception " of the SDAA may be reduced in the North East angling circles by this discussion, but the normal, honest Inverbervie angler has nothing to fear.

Very best regards,

Lyall

Mike Barrio

« Reply #23 on: 20/11/2007 at 19:52 »
Yes, tricky one Lyall :roll

From what I have heard discussed outside the hut .......... they appear to feel that there is quite a difference in being able to fish by "courtesy of a Royal Charter that has stood for some 700 years" than by "courtesy of the current SDAA Committee" :?

Best wishes
Mike

salar35

« Reply #24 on: 21/11/2007 at 00:41 »
Hi Mike

Instead of what you have "heard outside the hut", please try listening to what you are hearing from ordinary SDAA members "on the ground" who are simply trying to pull the Bervie Mouth out of the 14th century and into the 21st, by showing a minority sniggling (ie lawbreaking) element down there that the framework of salmon statute law which is applicable to anyone else, also applies to them! 

Two well-meaning resident anglers actually tried to start up an Inverbervie Angling Association away back in February 1993, yet it sank without trace in the same year. Therein lies the SDAA's difficulty - there is a small hard core of fishers (I wouldn't necessarily call them anglers) who simply don't want their activities regulated, and are employing a multitude of excuses to keep it that way.....the latest being that residents don't want "outsiders" running their river. Pray tell, how many NE salmon beats nowadays are even owned by residents of bonny Scotland, far less Aberdeenshire?!

Apart from four Bervieites who happen to be members of the SDAA, I have yet to come across any anglers down there who have made any useful comment on this situation - hopefully there are plenty who are simply keeping their powder dry.

We received an unsolicited invitation back in 2003 from the Dee Board to run these rod fishings on their behalf as a responsible angling club which knows what it is about.........that same in-house expertise will almost certainly extend to our b-ggering off pretty sharpish if we don't find stakeholder support amongst the local populace, for free yet properly administered angling at the Bervie Mouth. Or if we attract unexpected criticism from the NE angling community for simply having the courage (rather scarce anywhere nowadays) to stick our head above the parapet in trying to weed out an overdue blight on the North-East's very own angling scene. We are not in the market for taking on any poisoned chalice.

To close on a lighter note while we await support rather than flak from the NE angling community for what the Dee Board and our SDAA are actually trying to accomplish, Lyall mentioned the right of Wrecking under the Royal Charter. The same fascinating antiquity also permits the burgesses of Inverbervie to "attack, arrest, imprison and punish, behead, hang, drown, and send into banishment all transgressors"......since we are not yet a Fundamentalist Moslem state, I do think that the local PF would at least raise an eyebrow at that.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #25 on: 21/11/2007 at 01:57 »
Hi "salar35"

Thank you for your reply.

My own personal thoughts are still as they were in "reply #7" of this thread :z16

But communication is always going to be a problem in an affair like this, the NE angling community in general probably had no knowledge whatsoever that any of this was taking place prior to the two recent pieces in the Press & Journal .......... So I guess they have only been able to react to what was written in the newspaper.

Best wishes
Mike

salar35

« Reply #26 on: 21/11/2007 at 10:27 »
Hi Mike

Phew!!!!! In that case you and the SDAA are singing from the same hymn sheet.......it did appear for a thread or two, that responsible anglers from outwith Stoney/Inverbervie, were actually suggesting that we were the bad guys here, where the core problem is a tiny but voluble minority at the Bervie Mouth who put real angling to deep shame.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #27 on: 21/11/2007 at 18:21 »
Hi "salar35"

No, not from "the same hymn sheet" I'm afraid ....... that is not what I have written in my "reply post #7" :wink

As I understand it, the honest Inverbervie resident angler can no longer fish the river "courtesy of King David's Royal Charter" ......... They now have to approach the SDAA?

But yes, we share the same views regarding the "dishonest Inverbervie resident angler"

Best wishes
Mike

salar35

« Reply #28 on: 22/11/2007 at 10:53 »
Hi Mike

The grand old Royal Charter has now been confirmed as past tense insofar as it refers to the taking of "red fish".

In line with statute law - as you know - anyone wishing to seek migratory fish there must first obtain written permission, not from the SDAA but from the actual owner, namely the Dee Board since 2003.

The Board has invited us to do the administration, in basically the same way as the Council formerly handled the rod permits there from the Leisure Centre, on behalf of the former netsmen.  So yes, IF IF IF we actually take on what is increasingly looking like the complete poison chalice, then the honest anglers of Inverbervie will indeed have to obtain their free permits from us, and outsiders will require to pay a fee. (we already have four 'Bervie members in our club, but remember that we'd also want a direct stakeholding interest from others down there).

Some folk seem to find difficulty with the concept of a local angling club which already has fishings on the Upper Bervie, handling the Bervie Mouth fishings on behalf of the lawful proprietor.  So if there's another angling association anywhere in the NE or E of Scotland which is willing (or might it be insane enough) to take this lease on, then please please get in touch with the Board. 'Cos the way things are going, our own members (myself included) are extremely likely to kick this whole proposal as hard as possible into touch at our forthcoming AGM, and remain very happily with our own fishings.

Yours aye

Salar35.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #29 on: 22/11/2007 at 12:25 »
Hi "salar35"

Now that is interesting, because to the best of my knowledge, at no point has the fact that the SDAA controls the "Upper Bervie Fishings" been mentioned in the newspapers :z6

So I would guess that most folk reading the press releases would not know this? :roll

As I said before, communication appears to perhaps be a problem ........... If Inverbervie residents are currently able to approach the SDAA for day fishing permits ( at a reasonable rate of course ) on the Upper River Bervie, then yes, it would perhaps make sense that written permission for their free fishing on the lower river would also be available from the same source :wink

Best wishes
Mike Barrio

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com