Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Rivers & Lochs / Re: River Don 2024
« Last post by Sandy Nelson on Today at 09:47 »
So on Monday past it was my first day off so I thought I’d try and beat the thunderstorm and go find some mayfly.
I spotted just one mayfly but did manage to find some nice fish tucked in the riffles picking off olives

Some cool wee beetles kicking about too, along with huge numbers of stoneflies

When the thunder started in earnest I decided to go home before I got soaked.
Glad I went out though as that was the only real chance I had all week. So I know how this guy feels

Last night it looked lovely so I went for an after dinner amble along the river without a rod.
Thousands of spinners and I saw a decent amount of rising fish. The water looked great and from some angles it was a fairytale

Roll on Tuesday when I can get back out
Front Page Forum Stream / Re: Barrio Midge Tip Fly Line
« Last post by James Laraway on 30/05/2024 at 14:04 »
indeed, most of my fishing will probably be from the tube with occasional visits to the land !
« Last post by Mike Barrio on 30/05/2024 at 11:03 »
Hi James.

Since you are comparing with the Smallstream, and knowing how/where you fish, I'm guessing that you are probably thinking about the Midge Tip line for float tubing?
It should be a good choice for tubing, as like the Troutstream, this line is very versatile.

Cheers
Mike

Smallstream Line: https://www.flylineshop.com/barrio-smallstream-fly-line.html

Line profile: individually customised, with each line size refined for presentation in that weight. ( plus compound tapers within these main tapers )

Head length: 24ft

Front taper & tip: 14ft

Belly: 7ft

Rear taper: 3ft

Running line: 66ft

Midge Tip Line: https://www.flylineshop.com/barrio-midge-tip-fly-lines.html

Line profile: individually customised, with each line size refined for presentation in that weight. ( plus compound tapers within these main tapers )

Head length: 30ft

Front taper & tip: 9ft ( including a 3ft intermediate section with a sink rate of approx 1.5 - 2.0 IPS )

Belly: 14ft

Rear taper: 7ft
« Last post by James Laraway on 30/05/2024 at 10:24 »
good grief - i cant type... *smiley-lol*

I meant WF as in weight forward taper of the midge tip line vs the taper of your small stream line 

Sorry for the confusion
Front Page Forum Stream / Re: Old Tee shirt
« Last post by Eddie Sinclair on 30/05/2024 at 08:51 »
Was that the trip where one if your party was thrashing a trout loch to death with a 15’ salmon rod?

It was indeed
For Sale / Wanted / AtomSix THE ARIDS 8'6" #4 FOR SALE
« Last post by Federico Pezzaioli on 29/05/2024 at 20:44 »
Hi,

A few months ago I bought THE ARIDS 8'6" #4 from Steve Parkes of AtomSix.
It's a beautiful rod in pristine condition since I have used it only twice for dry fly fishing in the Clyde.
I bought the rod early this year and paid £575

I would like to sell it because I now do all my dry fly fishing with a 7'9" rod, also built by AtomSix (I have too many rods in the house; it is time to sell what I use less)

If anybody is interested, I can be contacted via a forum PM (personal message).
I live in Prestwick (Ayrshire) and occasionally I am up in the Aberdeen area to fish the Don.

I would like to sell it at £ 450 ono

Federico
« Last post by Mike Barrio on 29/05/2024 at 17:57 »
your FW line compared to the ......

"FW line" - Do you mean the Midge Tip line James?

Cheers
Mike
« Last post by James Laraway on 29/05/2024 at 15:29 »
Hi Mike,

How different is the taper of your FW line compared to the existing SS line ?

regards
James
awesome  :z16
UPDATE:
I'm pleased to update this post by saying that Gerald did find a home for 'Uncle Ray' and it couldn't really be a better one.
Rather than sell the craft, he has passed the dinghy on to a friend who's first trip afloat on Morar was in 'Uncle Ray' when he was maybe 10 years old. Now in his 30's , he lives locally to Gerald and I'm delighted that the future of 'Uncle Ray' is secured with someone who has special memories and knows the history of the craft.
H

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com