Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Re: Tube Fly question.
« Reply #15 on: 05/03/2012 at 09:20 »
I have the Eumer vice with the needles etc and I have to say, some tubes just dont fit well.

That HMH one that actually hold the base of the tube looks the business. Davie McPhial swears buy it and he has probably tied more tubes than anyone out there!

You can see it in use on his YouTube channel.

http://youtu.be/wu-Ymmhv87w

Andy Wren

« Reply #16 on: 05/03/2012 at 09:26 »
http://www.graysofkilsyth.com/needle-tube-vice.htm

Been using this one for a while ,even recomended John made the stem a little longer to make the tying height more adjustable ,with both heads most tube tyable and not over expensive .

danbruce

« Reply #17 on: 05/03/2012 at 09:49 »
Cheers Rob and ACW,

I did notice that Davie McPhail uses the HMH, so was guessing that it would be a good option.
Think that is the one i will go with.

Now i just need to decide what i am going to tie up and make a trip to the shops for materials.

Cheers again guys,

Dan

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #18 on: 05/03/2012 at 10:54 »
Now i just need to decide what i am going to tie up and make a trip to the shops for materials.

I picked up my ADAA ticked two weekends ago and have, since then, spent close on £300 on "stuff" to tie tubes! And I had an extensively stocked fly tying room as it was..lol.

On the issue of tubes, I found a chap (Angling World 07) on Ebay that makes his own tubes. Works out at less than half the price you pay in the shops. http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Angling-World-07/Fly-Tying-Materials-/_i.html?_fsub=8785700&_sid=210334477&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

They are not at bright as the Veniard tubes, but if you are adding a body of tinsel etc, then they are perfect! He does plastic, aluminum, copper and brass in sets at £9.99 for 50 (Plastic its 250!)

Might be worth looking at too :)

Oh..and cone heads as well.

danbruce

« Reply #19 on: 05/03/2012 at 11:42 »
Cheers Rob,

Just had a quick look, certainly looks good. :z16
Hopefully i can stick to a handful of patterns and sizes to keep the cost down....probably won't manage that though. :z4

Cheers,

Dan

Ben Dixon

« Reply #20 on: 06/03/2012 at 10:24 »
I've not had a problem at all with the Eumer vice although I would recommend lining any metal tubes first or they do tend to spin.  Some of the adapters are not bad but I wouldn't change my Eumer vice for anything, not found any sort of tube that it will not work with.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #21 on: 06/03/2012 at 11:35 »
I've not had a problem at all with the Eumer vice although I would recommend lining any metal tubes first or they do tend to spin.  Some of the adapters are not bad but I wouldn't change my Eumer vice for anything, not found any sort of tube that it will not work with.

Cheers

Ben

I think its coz you sold me a dud!  :z7  The head is at a slight angle (down the way) so the thread often falls off the end of the metal tube when using it. Also, I find the bigger metal tubes (lined) are not held firmly and wobble, exagerating the issue with the thread comming off.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #22 on: 06/03/2012 at 12:26 »
I think its coz you sold me a dud!  :z7  The head is at a slight angle (down the way) so the thread often falls off the end of the metal tube when using it.

Bring it in Rob & I'll have a look at it, if it is anything less than perfect I'll happily change it (once you've bought another Helios).

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #23 on: 06/03/2012 at 12:44 »
lol..I will indeed bring it in and show you my latest Helios ;) Its amazing how much cheaper they are if you buy the blank...;)

Ben Dixon

« Reply #24 on: 06/03/2012 at 13:01 »
lol..I will indeed bring it in and show you my latest Helios ;) Its amazing how much cheaper they are if you buy the blank...;)

I refer you to the above post Rob, custom builds don't count :X5

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #25 on: 06/03/2012 at 15:37 »
I refer you to the above post Rob, custom builds don't count :X5

:z19 I might buy a clearwater for Izzy..if I can take her for free onto ADAA waters thats openned up a whole new ball game. Do they come in pink?

danbruce

« Reply #26 on: 08/03/2012 at 17:28 »
So my tube fly adapter for my vice arrived this morning while i was at work (i went for the HMH). No way was my tube going to spin as i could secure the tube straight into the vice.
Managed to get on tube tied before my tea. As i am still waiting on some materials that i ordered i just kind of through something together with what i had lying around.

1" Aluminium slipstream tube
White deer hair.
Black Arctic Runner hair
Orange Arctic Runner hair
Orange holographic tinsel

Shame i made the head so far back.

By the way Rob i went for the tubes you mentioned, have to say they are a steal at that price.

Cheers,

Dan

Iain Goolager

« Reply #27 on: 08/03/2012 at 18:51 »
Hi Dan,

Yeah, a very good start.  :z16
A couple of wee adjustments possibly but you should be pleased.

Iain

danbruce

« Reply #28 on: 09/03/2012 at 11:13 »
Cheers Iain,

Any tips or suggestions on improving it would be great.

Cheers,
Dan

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #29 on: 09/03/2012 at 11:53 »
It probably needs a throat hackle. This gives the fly a nice profile and possibly helps it "swim" better.

Have a look at these simple flies for an idea of what I mean.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com