Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

lenap

good stillwater patterns from brian chan
« on: 28/03/2008 at 23:53 »
http://www.superfly.ca/files/sw_fly_brochure.pdf

hello out there and hope you are catching fish, i just thought i would share this site with you. brian chan is one of the worlds best stillwater  fishermen, his flies are are almost silly good at catching fish. people will wonder what kind of spell you have on the fish. tye up a few of these and hang on . pete :z16 :z2

Mike Barrio

Re: good stillwater patterns from brian chan
« Reply #1 on: 30/03/2008 at 21:52 »
Hi Pete

Yes ....... some very nice flies, thanks for that :z16

Mind you .... when it comes to stillwater flies, I think those available in the UK would be a step or two ahead of those from across the pond :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 30/03/2008 at 22:24 »
I'd have to agree with Mike..... but......... I wonder if there's an idea for a fishing shoot-out :?

US vs UK stillwater patterns, 6 flies in common use from each country, two fishers one fishery/water. Two fishers toss a coin and winner gets 1st choice of US/UK patterns. The two anglers then spend a day fishing the flies and see which come out on top :wink

Pete organises such an event across the 'Pond' and Mike (seem like a good choice to me :wink) organises a similar event over here :z17

OK - way too many variables to make this a 'scientific' challenge.... but could be good for a laugh  :z18

Hamish  :z3

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 30/03/2008 at 22:34 »
Hi Hamish

That sounds like it could be fun :cool:

I think they would have to be commercially tied ones, Pete could choose half a dozen from what he considers the best over there and I would probably choose some Fulling Mill ones for here.

What do you think Pete? :z17

Best wishes
Mike

lenap

« Reply #4 on: 31/03/2008 at 01:31 »
i think it sounds good, all the details would make make up the difference, i never have fished any u/k flies ,but have tyed modified versions of them. being a tyer i like to experiment with many ideas and i am always looking for more. my fishing buddy and i do not belong to any fishing club or groupe ,but most of our fishing is stillwater from float boats. i can tell you from the get go that we catch a lot of fish on leeches and wooly buggers , damsels are next followed by san juan worms and scuds. as for a commercial tye i would choose either ( the fly shop ) or ( blueflycafe ). sounds like we have some details to work out , but just the fact that we are thinking about doing this is good stuff. let me know about any other detail that can be worked out and we can be another step closer. thanks for the reply and the interest. pete :z1 :z16

Jim Doyle

« Reply #5 on: 31/03/2008 at 17:04 »
From what I can see the majority of his patterns are derivations of brit flies any way??

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com