Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Ben Dixon

Re: Orvis Demo Day (April 18th) ADAA bothy on the River Dee
« Reply #1 on: 16/04/2010 at 12:08 »
Cheers Mike, had just logged in to do this!!!

All welcome, not just ADAA members and we will kick off at about 10AM.

There will be single handed demos on common faults & fixes, Spey casting and if conditions allow, we will cover some presentation casts too.  If anyone is interested on the day I will cover setting up singlehanded rods for Spey casting / salmon fishing.

Double handed demos will cover techniques for Skagit lines and casting in tight spots, long bellied Spey lines and shooting heads.

Kevin & Peter will no doubt have some serious tying tricks up their sleeves too.

We will have a good range of rods to try and most of the Rio salmon lines for anyone who wishes to try them on their own rods.

Cheers

Ben

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 16/04/2010 at 20:19 »
Sounds Like A really good day, I would have loved to be there unfortunately family commitment prevent me going  :z10

:z18

Jim

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 18/04/2010 at 20:00 »
Only managed a flying visit today which was a pity but  you can't plan to fish Fri, Sat & Mon and not take the boy to Rambo-land on Sunday.

Nice to see Kevin & Peter as well as the 'Orvis crowd' & even Hendrick Mortensen & party showed up - nice one!
well done Orvis, flydressers & ADAA

Iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #4 on: 18/04/2010 at 20:26 »
I managed a wee visit in the afternoon.  I had the OH with me so didn't think I would get a chance to play. Luckily Ben asked just as I was leaving if I fancied a shot.  I had a nice wee try with a 13' 6"  or 12' 6" shooting star rated #8.  The gents in front of me in the queue were trying the circle spey (I'd also seen Goolager shooting a few circles out on Friday).  So I had a few shots.  Managed not too bad but as per normal I make a hash of the forward cast and push the power too far forward rather than stopping nicely at 10 0'clock.   Four things stuck in my mind

1.  The shooting star is a very nice rod
2. The brightly coloured AFS shooting head is a million times easier to see in the water and whilst casting than the normal yellow and gree number.  Are they widely available?
3. I can't wait for the summer to arrive and the levels to drop so that I can go back to fishing with floating lines again.
4. The circle spey will be ideal for the Don and will allow me to continue to neglect to learn how to single spey cast properly!   

Hopefully next time I'll make it down much earlier and get to see the demonstrations etc!

Thanks for publicising it Mike and Ben.

Cheers

Matt

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 18/04/2010 at 23:25 »
Thanks to those that turned out today, was good to see a few of you.

Matt, that Orange AFS is available from 5/6 to 8/9, the 9/10 should be here soon but no plans for a 10/11.  Think that line was on a 13'6" #8 rod. 

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com