Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Tam Greenock

Tams salmon tackle query
« on: 28/01/2010 at 09:04 »
Ok guys, l havent done any Salmon fishing for over 25 years.

What would you recommend that l buy, rod and reel wise, to get me started on The Don.

Thanks
Tam

(Sorry Tam, split this from the Don march topic as you may get further feedback in a new topic. Hamish  :z3 )

Ben Dixon

Tams salmon tackle query
« Reply #1 on: 28/01/2010 at 22:29 »
Ok guys, l havent done any Salmon fishing for over 25 years.

What would you recommend that l buy, rod and reel wise, to get me started on The Don.

Thanks
Tam

Hi Tam,

Buy any rod that takes your fancy between 13 & 14' rated either 8/9 or 9/10 and a reel that balances the rod.  Having the right lines on the Don makes a huge difference, go for a short head.  I like Rio's AFS shooting heads, these are available as a kit with running line, a floating head and some polyleaders and the heads in different sink rates are available individually.  The floating, sink one & sink 3 heads should see you right in any conditions, a Skagit line can be really useful when the river is very big and or very cold.  If you need any more info, drop me a PM

Cheers

Ben

Graham Ritchie

Tams salmon tackle query
« Reply #2 on: 29/01/2010 at 11:55 »
I would go for the 14ft #9-10. This will allow you to fish larger flies/sinking lines during the spring or when the river is in spate. For more delicate low water work you can always use your trout rods.

Hamish Young

Re: Tams salmon tackle query
« Reply #3 on: 31/01/2010 at 10:35 »
I'd agree with all the above, a range of polyleaders is a must IMHO.

I have the Rio AFS set up and am smitten with it, super-easy to use and on the Don that's a good attribute as the banks and wading can be 'character building' in places  :shock so a quick loading outfit is handy.
Plenty of good rods out there new and used, I wouldn't go above 14ft for the Don.

As has been suggested already, come lower water conditions, a single hander is all you really need - but make sure you've got those polyleaders for that outfit too  :wink

Hamish  :z3

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com