Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Barry Robertson

The new Step by step Section
« on: 20/02/2010 at 15:03 »
Great new addition to the site folks, hopefully even after the tying comp it will continue to be added to  :z16
Even though its time consuming I am looking forward to adding some more patterns in the near future, cheers for all who have contributed  :z16

Tightlines
Baz
 :z18

Mike Barrio

Re: The new Step by step Section
« Reply #1 on: 20/02/2010 at 15:13 »
Thanks Baz :z16

We thought it would be a great way to make the step by steps easier to find :cool:

I would be quite happy to make the SBS monthly competition an ongoing one, if folk enjoy taking part. It is great to see how you are all getting better at the camerawork etc.

Best wishes
Mike

Irvine Ross

« Reply #2 on: 20/02/2010 at 16:21 »
Mike

Yes indeed the new SBS section is a great new feature and will be really useful for all the tiers on the forum, and all those that look in but say nothing.

I would suggest keeping the competition to the winter months. It helps ward off cabin fever when we can't get out. If you keep it up all the year it might get a bit stale. Anyway in the summer I have a lot less time for tying. The head gardener often needs my help :grin

Thanks for all the effort

Irvine

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #3 on: 20/02/2010 at 17:06 »
Great new addition. I will definately be making use of this.  :z16
I started doing a wee SBS the other day but really struggled to get good pics.  :z8 Will try again next week.

Ps......I vote to keep the competition going. Can only lead to a large database of patterns. Plus i havent entered yet!  :z7

Barry Robertson

« Reply #4 on: 20/02/2010 at 17:08 »
Maybe an idea to have a sticky thread at the top of the page with photography tips  :z8

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 20/02/2010 at 18:07 »
Well done on the new SBS section  :z16
There was one which I was looking for yesterday & couldn't find it - now I see it :wink

Year round SBS comp?  I don't see why not, of course much more fishing will be being done but it'll be good as I'm sure many will be of patterns which are currently catching.

Baz, Ref the photo tips section - While scouting on the net for photographing set ups I came across one which showed a photo 'studio' which was an old cardboard box with a decent square cut out of the sides and top which were covered with white tissue paper. Lighting from lamp/s placed around the outside of the box was diffused by the paper & supposedly this resulted in better pictures. (Obviously the vise c/w fly is placed inside this box). Need to give it a try as this is the reason that I don't post much SBS's.

Sandy, perhaps it's my eyes (which are giving me prob's) but the flies I tie seem to me to be fine, almost decent BUT some of the photo's I take in macro suggest that they have been tied by David blunkett? perhaps some form of tying bino's are needed.

Iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #6 on: 20/02/2010 at 18:11 »
I have one, suggestion that we set a value limit and the winner of the month pays for the next months winner's prize (say £10, and you either send them cash or a voucher/or materials?)?  Just seems a bit unfair that Mike is paying out all the time.  Either that or we get rid of the prize and Mike just picks a winner?

All year round is fine for me.

cheers

Matt

Iain Goolager

« Reply #7 on: 20/02/2010 at 18:18 »
Matt, I agree with the sentiment (as that's 12 fly lines Mike has to give away -  :shock).

What if we have a league table and the eventual winner gets to be your best man?  :z4 :z7

Iain

Barry Robertson

« Reply #8 on: 21/02/2010 at 00:18 »
Well done on the new SBS section  :z16
There was one which I was looking for yesterday & couldn't find it - now I see it :wink

Year round SBS comp?  I don't see why not, of course much more fishing will be being done but it'll be good as I'm sure many will be of patterns which are currently catching.

Baz, Ref the photo tips section - While scouting on the net for photographing set ups I came across one which showed a photo 'studio' which was an old cardboard box with a decent square cut out of the sides and top which were covered with white tissue paper. Lighting from lamp/s placed around the outside of the box was diffused by the paper & supposedly this resulted in better pictures. (Obviously the vise c/w fly is placed inside this box). Need to give it a try as this is the reason that I don't post much SBS's.

Sandy, perhaps it's my eyes (which are giving me prob's) but the flies I tie seem to me to be fine, almost decent BUT some of the photo's I take in macro suggest that they have been tied by David blunkett? perhaps some form of tying bino's are needed.

Iain

I know exactly what you were referring to about the photo thingy with the box, it looks cool but a wee bit of work!
Iam happy enough with my photos for now :wink
Iam not to botherd about it being a comp all year round but will participate either way,would still be nice to see others joining in too  :shock

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 21/02/2010 at 03:44 »
I'm with irvine on this

the sbs's are great during the winter when you can't get out
but they might get a bit stale all year round.
The trout season is for 6 months perhaps the sbs could be the other 6 months
as a compromise? My saltwater season here is almost the same , march to October
so I works for me too
I also wondered if there would any mileage in mike picks the best one each month
and then the 6 winners are posted with a vote for everyone else to chose their favorite
and an overall winner. Is this an idea?

I just think it's really cool building our own flytying guide :z3

sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 21/02/2010 at 11:51 »
Hi folks :cool:

Yes, that works, we can run the competition while the brownie season is closed and hopefully folk will post a few during the summer too.

I have something else up my sleeve for those taking part, but I'll leave that until the time comes :wink

Thanks for posting the SBSs, there's quite a bit of skill involved and I'm sure you're all having fun!
2010 ...... the year of the camera :z16

Best wishes
Mike

paavo

« Reply #11 on: 21/02/2010 at 12:46 »
Nice the new SBS section  :z16
And theres nice flies too  :z16

//Harri

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com