Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Olley

Float tubing in France
« on: 15/09/2011 at 20:22 »
Hi All
It's been a while.
I have been float tubing today and for some reason it made me think of Haddo :wink

I have been here just a year now and much has happened but the good bit from my point of view is that I now have a house with a two acre lake in the garden. The lake is well stocked with coarse fish including some very nice Rudd and of course Carp, up to around 20lb.
I have been catching them well enough on normal bait tackle but finally got around to unpacking the banana boat and launched for the first time this evening.
tackled up with a 5wt rod and floater I started with buzzers and was soon catching Rudd fairly regularly. They are much less aggressive than trout, the bites are much harder to feel and they are also much easier to spook.
I was fishing an aps bloodworm around a snag when it all went solid and I thought I had hooked the snag, then the snag took off at a rate of knots down the lake, completely unstoppable. Looks like the carp had arrived :grin
I thought OK, I'll come back for you another day with more suitable tackle and as there were some fish beginning to rise I tied on a size 16 Sparkle Gnat and cast to the rises. First cast the fly was engulfed and we were off. This was either a record rudd or another carp. Several minutes later a pristine common carp of around 4lb came to the net. I would have said it was much bigger.
Over the next hour I had a total of 8 carp, all around the same size and I have to say that pound for pound they pulled harder than any trout, even yours Mike :z4
So, I have broken my duck, will I be going back for the big ones? oh OK then
In the meantime good to see that tubing carries on at Haddo. Who knows, maybe one or two of you can come over for a tube meet on my lake. :z16

Cheers for now

Dave Olley

Mike Barrio

Re: Float tubing in France
« Reply #1 on: 15/09/2011 at 20:27 »
Awesome! ...... and great to hear from you Dave :z16

Get some photos posted, we'd love to see some :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #2 on: 16/09/2011 at 16:46 »
Great stuff Dave  :z16

I agree, pictures would have finished that off perfectly  :cry

Sounds like a shed load of fun  :z16

Iain

PDScott

« Reply #3 on: 16/09/2011 at 20:19 »
Well done Dave,
I hope you are in good health. The "banana boat" is obviously an attractant for the coarse fish :wink
All the best
Peter

Dave Olley

« Reply #4 on: 17/09/2011 at 20:33 »
Hi Guys
Photos would be good but it is very hard to get a photo of yourself in a float tube, when your in a float tube.
I'll see what I can do.
In the meantime here are some photos of the house

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50367271@N04/page1/

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 09/10/2011 at 16:27 »
Carp on the fly is the future of catch and release, people just dont know it yet :)

Cheaper than trout to stock, much hardier, as suggested, fight incredibly hard, will tolerate less than perfect water, live for 40+ years and once grown large, can be sold on to "normal" carp fisheries for large amounts of cash to buy smaller replacements.

The Yanks have finally seen the worth of Carp and there is a growing movement towards "fresh water bonefishing" as they call it.

I think the UK fly record is around the 46lb mark...thats some fish on the fly :)

Glad you are having some fun on the fly...pictures would be great.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #6 on: 09/10/2011 at 16:38 »
Nice pics  :shock
 Did you win the lottery   :z4 :z4
Thats almost like a dream home with a small bit of water for playing on at night times!

Dave Olley

« Reply #7 on: 11/10/2011 at 16:48 »
Hi Bigtroot
No lottery win. The property is about the same price as a 3 bed semi in Aberdeen.
Location, location, location :wink

Peter McCallum

« Reply #8 on: 11/10/2011 at 19:37 »
So what exactly forced you to move to such an unappealing hovel then??   :z4 :z4 :z13

Dave Olley

« Reply #9 on: 12/10/2011 at 14:58 »
The neighbours at my previous address left something to be desired :wink They were a foreign family, originally German I believe.
They lived in the biggest council house I've ever seen and none of them seem to have a proper job although they all have nice cars and seem to be on Holiday all the time.
They seemed to be "ruled" over by the grandmother who came and went mysteriously.
A right dodgy crowd. :z4

Irvine Ross

« Reply #10 on: 12/10/2011 at 16:31 »
Losh man I,m fair dumfoonert

Fit wye ye could leave bonny Deeside an ging an bide in a place far ye canna mak out fit the local folkies are spikkin about I jist dinna ken. :z8

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com