Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Mundie

Pike and other species
« on: 04/03/2008 at 19:10 »
Hi If you have pike in a pond/loch what other species would you be likely to find there with them?

Dave

Hamish Young

Re: Pike and other species
« Reply #1 on: 04/03/2008 at 19:22 »
Not much  :z4

But seriously - depends on size of pond/loch, habitat, how many Pike/Perch etc. Rob might have some thoughts on this  :wink

Dave Mundie

« Reply #2 on: 04/03/2008 at 20:04 »
Here's a link to the place i was speaking about, i was told today there is pike in it but maybe someone on the forum has fished it?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client=firefox-a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=57.218685,-2.148052&spn=0.002649,0.00721&t=h&z=17

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 04/03/2008 at 20:09 »
Hmmmm.....

If I hear one more person saying that Pike will eat everything in a loch I will scream  :mad

NO predator EVER eats all its food source, EVER!..UNLESS man interfers witht he natural balance of the water.

If you want to read up about them, then here is a link to a publication called "Pike in Your Waters" http://www.pacgb.co.uk/pdfs/pikeinyourwaters.pdf

Pike will co-exist with anything and everything..BUT..what happens with Trout Water Pike is that because so many trout get stocked into trout fisheries the natural balance of Predator/Prey is upset and so the Pike grow large..and fast ! Then, along comes mr. Trouter and catches his limit..and so do the other anglers on the water so suddenly there is less food, so the Pike suddenly become out of balance again and are seen as a problem.

I can think of plenty of waters that contain Pike and trout..and the trout fishing is some of the best I have ever come across. I fish one water where double figure browns are regularly taken..normally on large deadbaits!! My biggest is 14 pounds from this water  :z7. I can also think of another water that had Pike intorduced in the 1800's to control the amount of Browns..and if rumours would have it, there should be not Browns left..but its still stuffed full of them...proveing that Pike do not eat all the other fish.

Dave, if you have found a water that contains a natural head of Pike and Perch, please do not kill them. If you want them out we have other waters we can move them too. Cheers

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 04/03/2008 at 20:10 »
Dave..where is that?

Dave Mundie

« Reply #5 on: 04/03/2008 at 20:15 »
Dave..where is that?

Rob, trying to get a proper sat image its up by joss's quary on the scotston road if you can locate corby loch then look towards the parkhill crossroads you should see it.

Dave

Have updated the link above also here

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client=firefox-a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=57.218685,-2.148052&spn=0.002649,0.00721&t=h&z=17

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 04/03/2008 at 20:31 »
Thats Bishops Loch...fished it from 1985 until 1992 when I got kicked off you good  :mad

There has always been legal ranglings over who owns the water. Aberdeenshire Council says its theres, the bloke who owns the converted steadings on the main road says its his, and I had permission to fish it by Ian Masson who had/has the shooting rights on the loch  ??? ???

It has Pike (not many) Perch and Roach. The quarry uses the water to wash there sand so much of the time it is full of sedament (hence the pike are poor condition as they are sight feeders and cant see!) an there are no trout in there because of this. I think it was Bob Dey of the ADAA who told me that in teh 50's he fished it for small Brownies, but then the quarry started using the water and the trout dissapeared within a few years. It has also silted up badly thanks to the quarry. When I first fished there I was fishing 6 feet of water..last time it was 3 feet..and that was 92.

Ian Masson has/had corby and the next loch, Lily and told me he had removed all the pike...lily did not contain any fish aparently as everything was killed with the intention of stocking with Rainbows. Corby had Rainbows and Browns I believe.

And thats all i know about the water :) My mate Mike has tried to get on it to fish for the Perch and has been kicked off each time..but he is persistent.. :z4..but has not fished it for about 2 years as he got fed up trying..legally or otherwise.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 04/03/2008 at 20:36 »
Go onto http://maps.live.com/ for a much better image :)

Dave Mundie

« Reply #8 on: 04/03/2008 at 20:38 »
Well i stopped at the garage today and asked there and one of the young guys said that he sometimes fishes it and there is pike in it, i also asked him who owned it but he didn't know and said "its ok as i've seen some people fishing but nobodys going to shoot you or anything"

Dave

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 04/03/2008 at 20:41 »
Be careful..because you could get shot..literally!! There is still shooting on there, and some of it is with high velocity rifles. That garage used to be my local garage until 3 years ago, and yip, I think I know the chap you are talking about. The biggest Pike I ever saw from there was a fish of 8 pounds, most being 3-5 pounds. All were skinny and not the best condition, and many were killed.

We spent more time after the Perch as they averaged about 12 oz and were fun :)

Dave Mundie

« Reply #10 on: 04/03/2008 at 20:44 »
do you know anything about the old dam out the newmachar road it used to supply dyce with water?

Dave

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 04/03/2008 at 20:52 »
Hi Dave

Just buy a fishery, it will be so much easier ........... I'll sell you one :z13 

Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 04/03/2008 at 20:54 »
Funny you should mention that one...coz the answer is not a lot. There is an old chap I bump into in Bains sometimes, and he fishes it, and i think its perch he catches...but I have never been to it. Infact, I am not even sure where it is...he says its just to the left of the Newmachar road and the only thing I have seen that looks like a dam is a thin water, perhaps 200 yards long by 30 yards wide..is this it?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #13 on: 04/03/2008 at 20:55 »
Mike, I would buy Haddo and turn it into a carp syndicate :)..how much do you want... :z16

Dave Mundie

« Reply #14 on: 04/03/2008 at 20:56 »
Mike  :z4

Just looking at different fishing venues to fish.
Think it will be a while before a could think of buying and running one but saying that if the price is right  :z13 :z4

Dave

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com