Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

Loch vs river flies
« on: 03/11/2023 at 10:05 »
So this was prompted by a quote from Mr B asking if some flies were for river or loch.

At the end of the day we are fishing for wild brown trout so is 'how flashy' a fly is really an issue in terms of would you fish it in still vs running water ?

I guess what i am asking are there really 2 types of fly ? Still water and running water ?

does anyone fish more 'loch style flies' on rivers and visa versa ?

people's thoughts would be interesting.

I know i have caught some good Don trout on humougous' ( I'll get my coat)

Mike Barrio

Re: Loch vs river flies
« Reply #1 on: 03/11/2023 at 23:45 »
I think there is quite a lot of crossover if you experiment James, I have done quite well with Dabblers for example and I sometimes fish Crunchers on the river too  :)

I think it is mostly about confidence and fly profiles that simply look 'fishy' on the day.

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 04/11/2023 at 10:01 »
What feels like quite a long time ago, when I moved from the banks of the River Lochy and the waters I grew up fishing around Ardnamurchan to the banks of the River Don, the majority of my armoury were 'loch style' patterns.  But, as an avid reader of books and various fishing magazines (and a keen fly tyer  :! ) I carried many boxes of flies that had come from the pages of Trout Fisherman, Trout & Salmon and the short-lived Salmon, Trout and Sea-Trout for those 'just in case' moments.  But none of my boxes were really geared up for river fishing for trout as, by and large, river fishing where I grew up was for Sea Trout and maybe a Salmon.
When I moved to Strathdon I was fortunate to have many miles of the Don to play on, so I quickly adapted to the river and had success with some 'loch' patterns but, as Mike says, I had learnt a long time ago that if a fly looked right,  fished how you wanted it to for the conditions then you'd always fish it with confidence. There has to be some sense applied, but I'd suggest that it's a reasonable axiom to state that confidence and accuracy over pattern is a key for much of fly fishing.
I do know this, that experience in fishing rivers for trout broadened my thoughts on how to approach and what to fish on a loch - in particular the use of dry flies. But that's another story.
H

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 04/11/2023 at 20:24 »
I’d agree with that.

When we were up in Assynt this year, I had all my river flies with me and my CDC spider accounted for a lot of the highland browns I caught from the rivers and I never took it off on the loch and it caught as many as the loch ordie which I put on the Bob.
Confidence is everything  :z16 and like H says if a fly looks like food then fish will usually oblige

John Wastle

« Reply #4 on: 05/11/2023 at 19:06 »
I think river flies - spiders, nymphs and dries -transition very easily to lochs. Quite few, dries in particular live in both boxes and I woudn't be too upset to arrive at a loch with my river flies. Similarly with stillwater nymphs. A beaded Diawl Bach is a great Czech nymph pattern for trout and grayling

There are also traditonal wets common to both. Black Pennel, Butcher and Silver March Brown immediately spring to mind. What the all have in common is a fairly slim profile.

Bulkier loch flies like  palmers and muddlers have never really been on my radar for river fishing other than for sea trout. It's thought provoking.

On the rivers I fish there are long deep flats that are normally very tricky to fish other than with dries. The exception is when there is a decent downstream blow and a bit of water that seems to get the fish going. Pulling spiders and nymphs across the wind in these conditions can be really effective.  Loch style flies could work well for this. I'm going to add a few to the box.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com