Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Henderson

Why
« on: 06/03/2010 at 18:52 »
Do so many patterns have yellow tails? Loads of salmon flies have yellow tails with golden pheasant topping and lots of the steamer patterns have yellow tails too. Just wondered if anybody knows the reason?

Cheers

Matt

Hamish Young

Re: Why
« Reply #1 on: 07/03/2010 at 09:41 »
Tricky question..... I suppose you could always say that the yellow tails in many salmon flies herald back to the days of fully dressed patterns with all sorts of rare bits of bird lashed to a hook. As GP is still common it's perhaps reasonable to suggest it's a 'traditional' carry over to many patterns still in use today.

It might be more reasonable to argue that certain trigger colours remain popular and inspire confidence in the fisher so will always be retained in dressings; I know I use yellow a lot - but then again I'll use pretty much any colour (particularly in salmon flies) if I think it's going to give me an 'edge' if I'm presenting something to the fish that they've not seen before - not so important with fresh run fish, more so with 'residents'.
That's a whole other topic though  :wink

To be honest, I hadn't noticed that many streamers in my boxes with yellow in them - but I don't doubt it's true.

:z3

sightbob

Re: Why
« Reply #2 on: 08/03/2010 at 19:33 »
cause it works. :z4 :z4 :z4
sorry couldn't resist.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com