Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Liam Stephen

Any ideas?
« on: 04/05/2012 at 18:43 »
Fellas  :z16

Ive got a boat booked for Haddo tomorrow and am taking my older brother along. He has never fly fished before but seems pretty keen. What would you's recommend I pop on the end of the line? And what approach should I recommend to him? I know it depends on conditions and all that. I really want him to catch or at least hook into a fish. Come on guys I bet you's can help  :z12

Cheers
Liam

Barry Robertson

Re: Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: 04/05/2012 at 18:58 »
If hes just starting out i reckon a floating line single fly with a black and silver humungus would get him some action at hadddo! To be fair anything pulled quick will get some response eventually!

Liam Stephen

« Reply #2 on: 04/05/2012 at 19:01 »
I just don't want anything too heavy to be flying past my napper  :z7

Liam Stephen

« Reply #3 on: 04/05/2012 at 19:02 »
Baz

Sorry, he is just starting out  :z16

Iain Cameron

« Reply #4 on: 04/05/2012 at 19:08 »
a single dry, or a klink and dink - something that can be left static for a while to let the fish find the fly (if they are in the mood).
advantage being  it avoids thrashing the water to a foam in front of the boat... and less time the fly is in the air, being cast, the less likely it is to hook your head!

Liam Stephen

« Reply #5 on: 04/05/2012 at 19:13 »
Cheers Iain

I will defo consider both (conditions and fish depending). Klink n Dink might result in a few tangles. I'm sure we'll get something.  :z16

Liam

Peter McCallum

« Reply #6 on: 04/05/2012 at 19:32 »
I was mainly using a size 10 goldhead on saturday and we had 15 to the boat. It was of all things a cats whisker goldhead :cool:

Tail  - White marabou
Body - White or Chartreuse dubbing
Hackle - a couple of turns of chartreuse fritz behind a 3mm bead

also a black cats whisker goldhead  :cool: :cool:

Tail  - Black marabou
Body - black dubbing
Hackle - a couple of turns of chartreuse fritz behind a 3mm bead

a lot of the fish came quite close to the boat. We did try an enormous (size 4 l/s :shock) black wooly bugger as recommended by Ben but only hooked one fish, though there was an inordinate number of fish following the bugger but turning away at the end or thumping the tails etc.

Best of luck :z12 :z16

Liam Stephen

« Reply #7 on: 04/05/2012 at 19:35 »
Thanks for that Peter  :z16

Noel gave those Buggers a go last weekend, bloody monsterous things  :wink

Liam

Noel Kelly

« Reply #8 on: 04/05/2012 at 20:13 »
Thanks for that Peter  :z16

Noel gave those Buggers a go last weekend, bloody monsterous things  :wink

Liam

WHAT!!!!!! Lies bloody lies. Liam I'm shocked and disappointed. :cry

What are these bugger things you speak of?

Bunnyboiler......more lies, what's this world coming to when we can't even trust teachers. Glad I don't have kids.

Firstly, 15 to the boat :X2 riiiight of course you had. I do remember thrashing about in front of your boat. Could have been fish i suppose but sadly it wasnt.  It was you weilding a monstrous orange fly line. So hideous I just had to buy one to see if I can scare some trout into submission. New don tactic (sheesh)

Cat's whiskers???? Is that some kind of cat food? You do know bait fishing isn't allowed at Haddo?
As if aristocratic brown trout would be fooled by such an abomination.

So there you go forum members. 2 previously well respected members outed for the liars and cheats they are. A sad evening.  hic x

Liam Stephen

« Reply #9 on: 04/05/2012 at 20:28 »
Noel

Those big meaty beasts with the red head tied on something like a 4x longshank. I'm sure I remember them trashing the water.  :z8

P.S are you drunk Trig?  :z7

Liam

Barry Robertson

« Reply #10 on: 04/05/2012 at 20:33 »
I just don't want anything too heavy to be flying past my napper  :z7

Stick him up the pointy end of the boat then and fish out one side of the boat as you should be doing and nothing will be flying over your head! De barbed as well so worst case it wont be hard to pull out if does hit him in the back of the head  :z4

James Abel

« Reply #11 on: 04/05/2012 at 20:59 »
Have you not got a hard hat? Then give him that big cat he'd be bound to catch a fish and I'm sure it would be a day to remember :z4

Noel Kelly

« Reply #12 on: 04/05/2012 at 21:36 »
Noel

Those big meaty beasts with the red head tied on something like a 4x longshank. I'm sure I remember them trashing the water.  :z8

P.S are you drunk Trig?  :z7

Liam

Had a few earlier Liam but up early in the morn so coffee for the last hour :z10 I think you're confusing me with someone else fishing big nasty lures. I presume it's Iain the lure puller Goolager you're thinking of.

Good luck with the bro tomorrow. Great to hear he's having a go. No doubt you will put him onto a few.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #13 on: 04/05/2012 at 22:05 »
 Noel it was you! Last Saturday at Haddo, those big black wooly buggers you have tucked away in your 'streamer' box. The huge things with red heads. Come on you must remember  ???

I feel like a twat now  :oops

Hopefully I'll get him his first, fingers crossed  :z16

Liam

Quickcast 84

« Reply #14 on: 04/05/2012 at 22:31 »
Go for a black pennel at the point and a spider on the drop.the fish are not deap And pleanty insect life on the go or try new zealand style.look forward to reading mikes report next week.i might start 1 for rathen 2 next week aswell.ok with you mike another report?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com