Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ian Fraser-Stables

Small stream vs GT90
« on: 23/02/2023 at 15:45 »
I thought I would ask this question on the forum rather than message Mike direct. Then everyone can take advantage of any knowledge gained from it.

I bought a GT90 5wt to use on my Hardy Sintrix 9'6" 5wt, this was before Mike had the Small Stream lines in stock. Last year I fished the lower Itchen with it for Brown Trout. This year we have booked it again and also the Test main river and side streams. I wouldn't say they are Streams, but they aren't wide rivers either, I've posted some pictures.

The GT90 is a delight to cast but I found it didn't load the rod quickly after retrieving in a shorter space, I hope that makes sense. So casting to the middle of the river to a rising fish took 3 or 4 false casts to load then a couple more to shoot the line. When fishing one of our lakes I found the GT90 to work much better and got some good lengths.

I wouldn't say I was a poor caster, or a middle of the road type either, I can hold my own and put a fly pretty much where I want it, within reason, but I'm definitely not an expert.

My question is, would a Small Stream line load the rod quicker?

Here's one of our rivers...The Lower Itchen

Hamish Young

Re: Small stream vs GT90
« Reply #1 on: 23/02/2023 at 20:51 »
My question is, would a Small Stream line load the rod quicker?
Yes - but also no  *smiley-shocking*
At the distances you're covering/fishing we're talking 'point and squirt' fishing, so it can be difficult to get the 'load' you want as a total cast might be 25'. I'd be tempted to go up a line size  and I'd opt for the Smallstream as the overall head is considerably shorter than the GT90, even though at close distance there's not much in it.

When I was a student and had occasional access (thanks to some very kind invitations) to various rivers around Hampshire and Dorset, I quickly discovered that short, accurate casts were the order of business on the chalk streams which were much smaller than I thought they would be. I actually fished the first 30' or so of a DT8 on a #6wt rod, effectively a shooting head. This gave me the weight I wanted to load the rod quickly and whilst a bit brutish, it was super effective in all conditions, just clunky when leader and head were all out of the rod tip, which wasn't often. If I fished rivers for trout more regularly, I would very probably do something similar again - have something that is bespoke to what I need for the water I am fishing.  Won't suit everyone, but that doesn't matter - if it works for you, that's all that you need.

I wouldn't hesitate going up one line weight and make it a Smallstream.

Ian Fraser-Stables

« Reply #2 on: 24/02/2023 at 17:23 »
Thanks Hamish,

I had thought of going up a size but thought it may be too much for the Sintrix. I might give that a go.  :)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 25/02/2023 at 11:50 »
I'm with Hamish, it's always a good idea to try a line weight up or down on your rod if you have one, or can borrow one from a friend  :z16

Cheers
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 26/02/2023 at 08:45 »
After much playing with both lines last season.
I'd totally agree in trying a line weight up in the New Smallstream 2, for short range stuff.
It works really well on glass this way too. Lots of control and loads really well close in.
The GT is still my preferred choice for casting at anything over 50' and id use it on the line weight, but for short range and tight quarters I have
found the New SS performs extremely well when you overline by 1.

Ian Fraser-Stables

« Reply #5 on: 26/02/2023 at 20:52 »
Thank you so much chaps. I really appreciate your help.

I'm going to try a 6wt small stream and see if that works.

Kind regards
Ian

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com