Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Malcolm Copland

Electric Outboards
« on: 13/08/2012 at 15:37 »
Any recommendations for an electric outboard motor ?.
Cost is not an issue, prefer a quality product.

macleodsat11

Re: Electric Outboards
« Reply #1 on: 13/08/2012 at 16:46 »
I did a bit of research before i bought mine, (a 12v Excursion with 46lb thrust - German Import from ebay or amazon, cant remember which) good enough for a large loch, and can still shift a 19ft Clinker against the prevailing winds and current, never let me down, but never really tested in anything stronger than gusty weather if you know what i mean.
Essentially you first need to consider the size of boat/people/weight you need to shift, but what stood out was that regardless of motor output, the battery is more critical, go for a good quality leisure battery with a high Ahr. otherwise, standard car batteries will give you about 30 mins of top end thrust before they start to die rapidly on you.

Also key is looking after the motor, they dont like weeds or stray leader, if it gets tangled in anything dont try and reverse thrust out of it, stop and remove as much of the offending material as you can, trying to motor out of it will only burn out the outboard.

happy shopping.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #2 on: 13/08/2012 at 16:54 »
 I have a shakespear 44lb thrust, it does every thing I want it pushes a heavy 16ft clinker boat, just dont expect it to plane, Oh and the bigger ones need a very heavy battery, that is a worth while consideration, easgach 1

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 13/08/2012 at 17:02 »
Minn Kota are consider the "Rolls Royce" they are twice the price but if money is no object that will not antter. Also as Derek has mentioned the battery is just as important, the larger the thrust motor the shorter battery usage. You also need a leisure batter not a car battery.

I have a Diawa and have not had any problems, saying that iy has not had a lot of use.

:z18

Jim

Malcolm Copland

« Reply #4 on: 13/08/2012 at 17:03 »
Thanks guys. I should have made it clearer on my original post that I am looking for recommendations and / or experiences of various manufacturers. I'm an Engineer so the technical side of things are understood.
I'm fussy and don't like buying rubbish.

Thanks again

Malcolm Copland

« Reply #7 on: 13/08/2012 at 17:28 »
Many thanks for your trouble guys

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #8 on: 13/08/2012 at 19:48 »
I've had mine 2+ yrs with no probs, there is little to go wrong , I did lose the prop but £17 was the replacement cost, I am also an engineer and I think if you can get a look at the various makes there is little to choose from them. apart from the marine ones  they all do the same job I expect mine will out last the battery ( a Leisure one) easgach 1

Malcolm Copland

« Reply #9 on: 14/08/2012 at 06:26 »
Given the replies I'll order a Minn Kota.

Much appreciated

Malc

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com