Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Strange Day Today
« on: 10/02/2008 at 19:47 »
It was a strange day today :roll

Air and water temps seemed fine, plenty of fly life, it was overcast and not too bright ......... a great day for fishing in February.

But ........ it proved hard going and the fish were not nearly as keen as they have been.

I wonder what was wrong ........ any ideas anybody?

Mike

Rob Brownfield

Re: Strange Day Today
« Reply #1 on: 10/02/2008 at 20:50 »
We had the same..off fishing for Pike, but only fish all day was a Rainbow Trout that was taken on a wobbled 6-8" dead Travelly!!!!!!! The river was perfect, finning down after a big flood, the overcast skies should have hd the Pike crawling up the rods.

Moon Phase perhaps???

PDScott

« Reply #2 on: 10/02/2008 at 20:51 »
Could it be the fish are all Aberdeen supporters and they were keeping their heads down after the result today?

I have a more serious suggestion - I have just been outdoors here in the Blue Toon and it is thick fog. Could it be that there was a touch of East in the wind (what little wind there was) and this was enough to put the fish down? We are also under a ridge of High pressure at the present time - does this affect the fish and when they feed? More questions than answers I'm afraid.
Peter

mac_the_dog

« Reply #3 on: 10/02/2008 at 21:38 »
Was fishing Pitfour today and the fish were the same there to. Near perfect weather for February and the fish were virtually no where to be seen.

Hope it changes soon
Kevin

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 10/02/2008 at 22:24 »
Hi folks

Yes, I think that the pressure theory is one that often coincides with these days when all seems to go quieter than normal.

Not high or low ...... it appears to be a change in pressure that sometimes makes things tricky :wink

I spoke to quite a few folk that were fishing other venues in the North East today and they all found it tough going.

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 10/02/2008 at 22:26 »
"More questions than answers" ........... Aye, that's fishing for you :z4

Mike

Kev Danby

« Reply #6 on: 11/02/2008 at 09:39 »
If Sunday was anything like Saturday then the fish were high in the water could anglers have been fishing too deep?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 11/02/2008 at 17:13 »
If Sunday was anything like Saturday then the fish were high in the water could anglers have been fishing too deep?

Possibly Kev ........... they were high in the water again today :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Dave Mundie

« Reply #8 on: 11/02/2008 at 18:08 »
Well i'll put my trip to artloch down to wind and air pressure that way i'm not blaiming my self  :z4

looking here http://www.netweather.tv/ the pressure is going to be much the same all week so hopefully this will help things along.

Dave

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com