Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

clark

apps bloodworm??
« on: 10/07/2008 at 17:29 »
are apps bloodworms any use this time of year ?? if so what colour , retrieve ect ??

any advise will be greatly appreciated :z16

clark

Hamish Young

Re: apps bloodworm??
« Reply #1 on: 10/07/2008 at 19:56 »
are apps bloodworms any use this time of year ?

Oh very much so yes  :wink

if so what colour , retrieve etc

Red's best in general, but brown/olive/white/black and yellow also work. Not too much bloodworm about them :! but they do work  :cool:

Retrieve - let it "fish" on the drop then dead slow, watch very carefully for takes on the drop  :wink

Iain Goolager

« Reply #2 on: 10/07/2008 at 23:28 »
Hi Clark,

Yup, the Apps Bloodworm works all year round.

Although I don't fish them that often during the more 'imitative' months (personal preference - prefer to fish buzzers or 'surface' flies) I would be extremely confident fishing one on the point with a buzzer on the dropper on any water in any conditions at any time of year.  This is actually my cast of choice during the Winter months & also proved successful a few years ago when fishing a competition in sweltering heat.

I only tie them in Red and retreive in my typical dead slow to 'medium' figure of eight buzzer style retreive.

Also, as Hamish points out, watch out for takes on the drop!

Saying that they mimic a bloodworm kind of goes against the grain so when I tie mine with a segmented vinyl rib body I feel a little better.......I  feel queezy when I see the ones with red beads for the body...eek!

Iain

stickleback

« Reply #3 on: 10/07/2008 at 23:47 »
As a bit of a joke I tied up some Apps Bloodworms on Steroids.  Felt a bit like Dr Frankenstein  ;D ;D.  Here's a photo of one from the internet - mine look even more hideous.  I've tried them a couple of times with no success but this thread has inspired me to try again during my next outing this Sunday.  Will it be third time lucky  :?

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #4 on: 11/07/2008 at 00:25 »
yea as Hamish will back up the bloodworms have worked great for me recently, and haddo and that place near balater (where they dont catch)

Im sure people will back me up that fish hit these HARD, so you have been warned haha

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 11/07/2008 at 00:50 »
Hi folks :cool:

Yes, bloodworms work well all year round ( not just in the winter, as many anglers think ) and they will often produce fish when all else appears to fail.

The "Apps" version appears to work best dressed lightly and quite long, so no beads etc and use the thinnest rubber legs you can find :wink

But this fly is becoming a bit of a "WSW" ....... in other words, it catches lots of fish because lots of anglers are fishing with it :z7 and there are other bloodworm patterns out there :wink

Have fun!
Mike

clark

« Reply #6 on: 13/07/2008 at 16:04 »
which are the best versions ??? i fished my own variation in febuary and had the biggest bags of fish i had ever had !! but what is best for this time of year ?? beads , no beads , 4 legs , 8 legs ???? am so confused!  :shock

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 13/07/2008 at 17:48 »
4 legs, no beads and confidence  :wink

clark

« Reply #8 on: 13/07/2008 at 21:25 »
Cheers hamish ! will that work on the loch of loriston ???

Hamish Young

« Reply #9 on: 14/07/2008 at 22:09 »
Have never fished that particular water so I dunno  :z8 - it should  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com