Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Steven Kidd

Lake of Menteith
« on: 10/04/2023 at 18:42 »
Hello,

I thought I'd share a wee report from something different for me, a trip for Rainbow Trout from a boat on Lake of Menteith.

First time on 'The Lake' for me, so I admit I did a fair amount of research before going on tactics and areas to find fish from years previous reports etc.

I normally struggle on the big lochs but keen to get better at it...so I just keep at it, this time it paid off.  I fished predominantly buzzers on a floating line and had 7 fish in total and two over 3lb, :-), a great confidence booster.  Really stunning fish mostly overwintered  and they are unbelievably powerful.

I reverted to taking the buzzers off and fished a Kate McLaren and one of Eddies modified Pennells, had a good few swirls on the bob but no hook ups with this more traditional method.  (next time!)

I will be back for sure, very good day out that!....and that hopefully that wee bit of confidence will be carried to 'The Loch' this year.

Steven

James Laraway

Re: Lake of Menteith
« Reply #1 on: 10/04/2023 at 20:04 »
Nice one. I fished the lake years ago and really struggled. Mind you it did hail when I was there...
I hope yo try for the pike there one day with the fly...

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 10/04/2023 at 20:42 »
Good looking rainbow Steven, nice bloom in the tail.

Only fished Menteith a couple of times, later in the year though. I remember having a great time fishing the wind lanes with Hoppers and Soldier Palmers  :)

Matt Hart

« Reply #3 on: 10/04/2023 at 21:34 »
Not sure what's cooler, the fish...or the hat  >)

Steven Kidd

« Reply #4 on: 10/04/2023 at 22:19 »
Not sure what's cooler, the fish...or the hat  >)

Ha!.....best program on TV and they do a fair bit of fly fishing, :-)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com