Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

GARYBOY

dee don
« on: 28/02/2010 at 18:45 »
on way home from bridge of Don to Portlethen last week  i noticed that the Dee at duthie park frozen over ,yet the Don had nothing  . Why ??? any body know   :z8 :z8

Paul Rankine

Re: dee don
« Reply #1 on: 28/02/2010 at 19:25 »
Hi Gary,
              Cos' it's colder ?
Paul.

gunner100

« Reply #2 on: 28/02/2010 at 19:27 »
Hi Gary,

I saw this myself last week. Don't think that the Dee was frozen, more that the ice/grue picked by the river is carried down to the tidal stretch from Leggart Terrace to the harbour. With the rise and fall effect of the tide, this is deposited on the banks and builds up. The island at the "Pots and Fords" stretch , near the Ghillies Lair, was covered in pure white ice to a depth of two to three feet , looked absolutely beautiful, but at 2+ feet thick, most unlikely to have been the Dee itself freezing to that depth.

Lyall

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 28/02/2010 at 22:06 »
Quite correct, the Dee was unfishable for much of the week last week due to the ice, was iced almost iced over on the middle river and too grue'd up to fish.  The Don was clear but I hear there was grue upstream above Alford, this had melted by the time it got down to Kintore.  Not sure why either, only ever seen serious grue & ice on the Don where I am, grue one day, more the next and on the third day it was iced over from bank to bank.  That was during the really cold few days we had where we got to around -19.

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com