Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Eddie Sinclair

Re: River Ythan 2017
« Reply #30 on: 07/09/2017 at 02:48 »
Gents,

it is the same on the river Cowie in Stonehaven. Pretty much all of the seatrout are female and we had Adrian Hudson the Dee biologist tell us that they spawned with the wee burn trout in the river. These trout are tiny but sexually mature.

Eddie.

Duncan McRae

« Reply #31 on: 10/09/2017 at 11:38 »
Seems to be quite a few salmon entering the river over the last week.I'm now seeing fish splashing most evenings on one of the lower beats.Some hefty fish amongst them.
Fished a lower beat yesterday but no joy,although one fish came at my fly four times but didn't take hold.Heart stopping stuff.

Did manage to take a 12lb fresh salmon and two good sized sea trout from a middle beat during the week but my photographic skills let me down once again.Really disappointed to see the resultant blurred photos.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive camera specifically for fishing photos?Preferably one that you just have to press the button without having to think about settings etc.

Duncan

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #32 on: 10/09/2017 at 14:45 »
Duncan any of the modern crop of compacts are pretty good, For fishing, if you want to keep the cost down, look at a refurbed waterproof. some great machines for low expenditure, great for carrying with you when fishing and will stand up to most punishment, plus won't break your heart if you do manage to destroy it. Something like this perhaps?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-DMC-FT30-2-7-Inch-16MP-Tough-Camera-Black-From-the-Argos-Shop-on-ebay/332287996034?epid=1237937935&hash=item4d5de87082%3Ag%3A4lAAAOSwwvZZVxlA

Cheers

Sandy

Duncan McRae

« Reply #33 on: 10/09/2017 at 20:44 »
Hi Sandy

Thanks for the information.
Must confess,l know next to nothing about cameras but reading up the spec. and reviews on your suggestion has helped greatly.
I would definitely consider buying this particular model.

Duncan

Graham Allan

« Reply #34 on: 11/09/2017 at 16:39 »
Hi Duncan.
Good  report  from mid week 🎣👍.
I tried Tarvis , Ythanbank ,Haddo Wednesday evening
Then had a run down the  fast water below the methlic bridge in the dark for not a touch.
wee doubles and sink tip line .
Hope to get out Tomorrow.

Duncan McRae

« Reply #35 on: 11/09/2017 at 21:26 »
Hi Graham

Water should be a good height for tomorrow but has risen fast so could be a bit coloured.

With so much good water available it's difficult to decide where to fish.If it wasn't such a long trek to the river i wouldn't mind having a go at Gicht.There's some nice looking wee pools there which should be holding the odd fish at this time of year.

With the water at a good height ,the next few days could be interesting.

Tight lines
Duncan

Graham Allan

« Reply #36 on: 14/09/2017 at 21:33 »
Hi  Duncan/All.
I must take the time to investigate the Gicht waters
I had an afternoon on the river Tuesday tried several of the Haddo beats for not a touch apart from a finnock last cast.
Went up again Wednesday morning thinking with all rain the start of a rise might bring them on as it  sometimes does .
Well it rained buckets but the water stayed pretty clear and didnt rise much while I was there, could of worked the fly no bother but spinning was the chosen method.
First fish was a bright (for the time of year)Sea trout about 3lb  First one from the Ythan   :z4.

I had another 3 Sea trout to the bank well coloured  fish a  lost a cracker about 5-7 lb slashed about at the top of the water and came off pretty sure it was a sea trout :X1
and 2 finnock. Fantastic day and found 2 good pools I never knew about.
With the rising water to day I thought it would be a waste of time and it was I will never learn.
Lets hope this rise will spread a few salmon through the river.

Graham

Duncan McRae

« Reply #37 on: 15/09/2017 at 12:53 »
Very well done Graham.A day to remember.
Never tried the flying C but obviously a very deadly bait!

Looked over Methlick bridge yesterday but the water was very coloured.I would imagine it's the same today.
Can't wait for water to settle down.

Duncan

Duncan McRae

« Reply #38 on: 20/09/2017 at 09:30 »
Arrived at my favourite back-end ADAA beat last night full of anticipation with the river flowing at a lovely height, but was dismayed to see that the banks had not been cut for quite some time.
Decided to persevere, but after an hour and a half of hacking my way through the undergrowth and continually having to release my fly from the bankside vegetation,i decided to pack it in.I'm glad i didn't hook a fish as landing it would have been near impossible.
On my way home i decided to stop at a beat where the banks are better maintained and with the light fading fast i had a bit of luck.

Graham Allan

« Reply #39 on: 25/09/2017 at 23:17 »
 :z14 Cracking fish Duncan well done looks like you have mastered the photos now .
I had a go with the fly today  never rely tried the fly for salmon on these shores before.
floating line fast sink tip  cascade on point executioner on dropper 3rd cast  on the dangle mid stream and boom everything went solid looked 10- 12 lb as it made its way upstream past me .
Then after 5 minutes I did the most stupid thing ever, I tried to bully the fish in giving it a heep of welly and pulled the hook  dont think ill sleep good tonight. :X1. I am gutted.

Duncan McRae

« Reply #40 on: 26/09/2017 at 12:21 »
Hi Graham

No still rubbish but Borrowed my wife's camera for this photo.I'm hoping to get the camera which Sandy suggested for xmas. :z4

Bad luck on losing the fish but plenty time to get another.You really have to play them hard on the Ythan as there's no places to beach them.

Had a great afternoon amongst the finnock yesterday using light fly tackle.All powerful little fish 10-13" and plenty of them in the river now.

Duncan

Graham Allan

« Reply #41 on: 29/09/2017 at 09:26 »
Hi Duncan .
Sadly I am off to work tomorrow for a month so Ill  miss all but the last 4 days of October  I tried the fly a few more times for nothing  but had some success spinning  :wink
Any tips on what flies and sizes to use would be appreciated (hint,hint)
Ive seen a few finnock this week and last but not in any amount 1 yesterday they all seem to be a good size. I was hoping they would be further up by now ,There were loads in the estuary this summer .Looking good for the future .
Hope you guys get good water for the last month Ill be keeping an eye out on here.

Tight lines
Graham

Duncan McRae

« Reply #42 on: 02/10/2017 at 12:54 »
Hi Graham

You won't go far wrong fishing a Cascade.
I started off this current rise in water fishing a 1.25" Brass tube going down a size as the water receded until currently i am fishing a size 12.I think anything' flashy' would do, provided there are fish on the move.

Have just taken a weeks holiday and fished the river fairly hard but no salmon or sea trout to be seen.
Thankfully there are a few Finnock on the go which provided some welcome sport.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #43 on: 03/10/2017 at 08:17 »
Hi Duncan

I spotted you out  a few times,  i also saw the Seal!! did he bother you at all, i reckon he is affecting much of the lower river from Ellon up to Haddo, he has been spotted on all the beats by folk.
He popped his head up next to me on Thursday and i just about shat myself, otters are quite common and give you a nice a surprise but when its a seal up the river it is quite unexpected :shock

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #44 on: 03/10/2017 at 08:39 »
I used to see seals at Esslemont pretty much every year when I fished the other bank Sandy, back in the 90s.

Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com