Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

David Davies

reel wanted
« on: 12/02/2009 at 20:28 »
greetings to you all in snowy scotland from an equally cold and snowy north yorks
I am only a novice  having discovered haddo only on a visit to my sons two years ago, I started off with a basic rod and reel (very basic) however before my last visit before christmas I bought a rod off Sandy , and superb it is. Even though I caught fish on my last visit I think its time to upgrade my basic (very basic) reel to one that that would do justice to sandy"s fine rod, if anybody has anything that is surplus to requirements I would be most willing to pay a fair price . I will be up again at haddo first week in april (god willing) and I hope to get some fishing in
the rod I bought of sandy was a david norwich 9 foot 5/6 wt
many thanks and kind regards for your help
cheers
dave   :z18 

Sandy Nelson

Re: reel wanted
« Reply #1 on: 12/02/2009 at 21:43 »
Dont know what you are looking to spend.
But this would match the rod really well, weight wise and is good value for money :z16

http://www.sportfish.co.uk/product/33558/Greys_G_Series_Fly_ReelSpool.html

Sandy

David Davies

« Reply #2 on: 13/02/2009 at 17:39 »
thanks for that sandy but wouldn"t mind spending a bit more than that
dave

Barry Robertson

« Reply #3 on: 13/02/2009 at 18:01 »
http://www.garryevans.co.uk/loop-lts-x2-fly-reels-551-p.asp

I have a couple of these and rate them very highly!

Or these ones look really nice and have a couple of friends who swear by them   :wink

http://www.snowbee.co.uk/fly_reels.html

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 13/02/2009 at 18:02 »
How much more :?
What do you want from the reel :? World is your oyster when it comes to reels  :cool:

You might consider a (now discontinued) Lamson Velocity (a 2 or 3 would be fine) and in this months Trout and Salmon (page 93) Linsley Brothers they have some excellent offers on a number of reels - including the Velocity.
Or..... you might buy one of the reels I just aquired  :wink
Try an Orvis store (or just ring Ben in their Banchory store :!) and get a Battenkil mid-arbour, better still pop by the Banchory shop when you come up in April :z17 I really like the mid-arbour and have bought one to go with a Helios rod  :z3 Large arbour isn't too shabby either.
Or....
Drop Mike a PM and see if he's got any of his custom Vosseler reels left, one of those would match the rod nicely and you could pick it up in April when you visit Haddo next  :cool:

My view is that you've got a nice rod there and it deserves to be matched to an equally nice reel  :z16

Hamish  :z3

David Davies

« Reply #5 on: 13/02/2009 at 18:17 »
thanks for all the advice I"ve got a lot to chew on there, but I agree with you hamish it does deserve a nice reel
cheers
dave :z18

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 14/02/2009 at 18:03 »
Dave

If the budget is there then the discontinued Velocities are brilliant :z16
Good colour match too  :wink
Depends what you like i suppose :z8

Sandy

David Davies

« Reply #7 on: 16/02/2009 at 10:31 »
I agree with you sandy if the budget is there there are some superb reels on the market , its just how far I want to walk before I can run
 :z18
dave

Jim Eddie

« Reply #8 on: 16/02/2009 at 13:50 »
Dave

For a buget reel , you will not get better than the Vision Koma.

http://www.hartflyshop.com/productdetail.php?mn=1456&pid=225&vid=753

Jim

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 16/02/2009 at 14:57 »
Would argue that one jim.

You are just lucky, there are a lot of broken Koma's out there :cry The frames are a bit on the brittle side.
Personally i wish Leeda would re-introduce the original Dragonfly, now that would be worth buying :z16

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 16/02/2009 at 16:56 »
Would argue that one jim.

You are just lucky, there are a lot of broken Koma's out there :cry The frames are a bit on the brittle side.
Personally i wish Leeda would re-introduce the original Dragonfly, now that would be worth buying :z16

Sandy

Yes, sorry, I would agree with that ....... I've seen a few broken ones :z8

Best wishes
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 16/02/2009 at 17:03 »
Hi Dave, a thought ..... I'm still trying/waiting to see if I can get some more Barrio blue fly reels made for me this year ( this will not happen for at least 2 to 3 months mainly due to current exchange rates ) but you could buy a standard Vosseler RC3 reel for a good price, these are pretty much the same as mine and some shops still have last years stock for sale at about £70-£80 :wink

Best wishes
Mike

David Davies

« Reply #12 on: 16/02/2009 at 19:25 »
hi mike
yes when hamish suggested them in an earlier post I had a look around the web and I thought they looked very nice, very reasonable price as well ,I"ll have another look
cheers
dave

David Davies

« Reply #13 on: 24/02/2009 at 20:00 »
anybody had any experience with the sonik sports sk4 rods or reels, apparently just opened 2008, they are run by two men who were top management at hardy greys, I was interested in their 5/6 reel retailing at £59.99, found one or two good reports about them
any feedback or advice most welcome
dave

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #14 on: 25/02/2009 at 08:48 »
Can only speak about the carp rods they produce...basically the same rods as the Greys X-flites and Prodigys but with different fittings and logos and a wee bit cheaper. Have been problems with the "soft touch" reel seat losing its "soft coating" and the rings seem to be rather fragile (as they are on the Greys rods too)

The Carp mags state that the rods and reels are sourced from the same far east factory, which is no bad thing as Sonik are not having to pay the development costs etc. but benefit from the research done by Greys and the other companies using the same factory.

Over on other fly fishing forums the fly rods get a great write up however. The fittings and fixtures are not as "advanced" as the carp rods (not a lot can go wrong with snake guides :)), with the reel seats being bomb proof and simple.

I think the overall impression is pretty good. :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com