Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Cameron deBoth

Re: "The Outcasts"
« Reply #25 on: 10/10/2008 at 13:25 »
Yea to be honest I'm looking on this as a way to improve my technique more than distant. As most know, you find alot of fish cruising the margines.

Dave B

« Reply #26 on: 10/10/2008 at 17:29 »
 :z4Count me in! Always try something new.

Dave B

Dave Mundie

« Reply #27 on: 10/10/2008 at 18:48 »
Will see if i can sweet talk the other half as Sunday is family day, but would be good to learn something and improve my bad casting.

Dave

Mike Barrio

« Reply #28 on: 10/10/2008 at 19:39 »
This casting club thing may look a bit weird coming from me ......... let's face it, I have always been the one standing on my soap box and saying there is no need to cast very far and if you do you'll probably put the fish down. Presentation is the key, etc etc :z7

But our trip down to the sexyloops meet at Dunkeld earlier in the year has changed my thoughts :wink

Why? ...... Firstly because it was so much fun casting on grass, I didn't realise just how much fun the casting bit of our fishing really is! After watching some world class casters doing roll casting tricks etc, I find myself experimenting more and more and finding practical ways to present a fly to the fish which I would never have tried before. A real eye opener :shock

More recently, I have been trying to teach myself to cast further. One of my current fly line design projects is a 150 ft fly line with a 100 ft head for competition sport casting ........ and I really do need to learn enough to be able to test my prototypes myself :oops

This pushing oneself to the limit has resulted in a big improvement in my "normal fishing range casting" and what used to be just outside my comfort zone is now within my range and feels much easier :wink

Best wishes
Mike Barrio

DruBuc

« Reply #29 on: 10/10/2008 at 20:47 »
Count me in as well Mike please.

Sunday ohhh hope the hang over is nae to bad from the night before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ben Dixon

« Reply #30 on: 10/10/2008 at 22:31 »
If ironing out faults is 'at hand' then I'd suggest bring the rod you use most often and are most comfortable with :z17
Get past any issues with tracking/drift etc then work on the distance stuuf, if that's yer bag  :wink

Should be an opportunity to learn a whole load of useful river casts too  :cool:

Hamish  :z3

Thanks for the kind words Hamish we should try to get Will up too, this is the weekend before Caer Beris  :shock

As for kit to bring if we are looking to improve casting with a view to catching more fish with less effort, folk should just turn up with whatever kit they fish with most IMHO.  Ill bring along a few toys too as long as you promise not to break them  :z7

Ben

Iain Goolager

« Reply #31 on: 10/10/2008 at 22:57 »
Ill bring along a few toys too as long as you promise not to break them

I wonder if he means 2wt rods? :roll

Hamish Young

« Reply #32 on: 10/10/2008 at 23:15 »
Ill bring along a few toys too as long as you promise not to break them  :z7

**Cough** (Hamish loosens collar :shock, blushes  :oops, looks slightly awkard  :o)....... I promise not to break them  :D

Jim Eddie

« Reply #33 on: 11/10/2008 at 13:54 »
I'll be there providing family work etc dont intervene  :wink

I can cast as badly as the worst of them 

:z18

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #34 on: 11/10/2008 at 22:15 »
As a youngster I used to fish with bait in the sea and spinning gear in the rivers and lakes and I loved it ( in those days you could go fishing in New Zealand and never meet up with another angler ) but then one day, for the first time, I saw somebody fly fishing in a river ........ Awesome, I was fascinated by the way the fly line travelled through the air and I just sat quietly watching for ages :cool:

The angler made his casting look so effortless and the whole thing was almost a work of art in my eyes ....... that was it, I was hooked and I just had to learn how to do it :z3

I have been fly fishing for a good number of years now and I still love to sit and watch a fly line being cast by somebody that knows how to cast well ...... it is magical ..... and I wish I could control a fly line like some of the top casters do :wink

If I can improve a little, through some practice on grass ( away from fish :z4 ) I think it will add a lot to my enjoyment when I'm out fishing.

Best wishes
Mike

Magnus Angus

« Reply #35 on: 12/10/2008 at 15:03 »
Finally found the thread - love to come Mike but that's the weekend of British Fly Fair - so no can do.

How do I embed some Youtube clips?

Hamish Young

« Reply #36 on: 12/10/2008 at 16:23 »
On you tube go to the video you want to link to, click on 'share'. Highlight the link and copy n paste into your post:

Magnus Angus

« Reply #37 on: 12/10/2008 at 17:22 »

Clive Mitchellhill - English but still a nice guy and master caster - technically superb
(http://www.stsflyfishing.com/Casting%20Video%20Clips.html - fine casting)

Perter Morse - Australian, seems well capable of casting and his technique looks just fine to me.

Traditional Japanese fishing - single handed rods.

US caster Rick Hartman trying the new Sage TCX at the Denver show - casting a fair bit more than 40ft.

Paul Arden on Lefty Kreh
http://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/5principles.shtml
http://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/5principles2.shtml

Nowhere does Paul say "Lefty has no idea how to cast and is doing it all wrong!" - his first piece says he believes some of Lefty's principles explain casting badly - in the much later article (some years later) Paul revisits Lefty's casting advice and has changed his opinions.
For that matter Lefty's views have changed over the course of a long career http://www.flyfisherman.com/skills/lkcastingbasic/index.html
Oh and of course he advocates practicing on grass

Fly fishers seldom need to cast more than 50 feet when fishing. Yet becoming proficient at long-distance casting can improve all your casting. You should learn to cast short (30 feet) first and then practice at greater and greater distances.

You can't learn casting from a book. You must do it. The more you practice the better you'll become. Practice on a lawn or pool. Casting while fishing is not practice. Practice allows you to focus on casting fundamentals without distractions.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #38 on: 12/10/2008 at 18:24 »
Nowhere does Paul say "Lefty has no idea how to cast and is doing it all wrong!" -

Bahhhhhh..the website has been changed!!!..as it says at the top..he has changed it as he re-read through it...see..even he says it was confusing!...The jist was that Leftys principles where wrong ..he has now changed it to badly explained.  :z16

Anyway..my post was meant as a little tongue in cheek and a little to stimulate debate...maybe I should re-word my original post coz too many folk are taking it literally  :z18

At the end of the day..i cant cast...they can..

Paul Rankine

« Reply #39 on: 12/10/2008 at 19:01 »
Rob,

At the end of the day..i cant cast...they can..

Soooo... All the more reason for you to come along to one of the casting days then ?

Go on , you know you want to .....  :shock

Paul.

Magnus Angus

« Reply #40 on: 12/10/2008 at 20:05 »
Baaaahhh! yourself Rob - you invented Paul saying Lefty can't cast Rob. Read the links - Paul has faults like most people but he is honest and has left both his old and current thinking about Lefty's ideas on casting.

Hamish Young

« Reply #41 on: 12/10/2008 at 20:22 »
Sooooo - I'm afraid I wont make it to the first one  :cry I'm on dayshift.
Will just have to look forward to the next one  :z16

(I'll drop by Robs' and kidnap him on the way)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #42 on: 12/10/2008 at 20:34 »
This is not good :z3 ........... Magnus/Hamish, what if we move it forward to Sunday November 9th?

Would that be OK?

Cheers
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #43 on: 12/10/2008 at 20:40 »
Again for me, no  :z10
I'll most probably be somewhere on the M6 south off to sit 8 days of exams  :shock

Bummer  :roll

Magnus Angus

« Reply #44 on: 12/10/2008 at 20:53 »
I can certainly be there on the 9th Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #45 on: 12/10/2008 at 21:13 »
I can certainly be there on the 9th Mike

Great stuff Magnus, I think Ben said today that he can do the 9th as well. Let me check with some of the others, but sounds good to me :wink

Best wishes
MIke

Mike Barrio

« Reply #46 on: 12/10/2008 at 21:17 »
Yes, if it is OK with Ben? .... and OK with Sandy? ....... we will go with Sunday November 9th

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #47 on: 12/10/2008 at 22:29 »
you invented Paul saying Lefty can't cast Rob.
What...oh it just gets better and better!!! Forget it....

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #48 on: 13/10/2008 at 07:11 »
I've just chjanged my half days leave from 2nd to the 9th :z16
So i'll be there about 1230 ish

Should be cool

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #49 on: 13/10/2008 at 08:44 »
Great stuff Sandy, I'll just wait till I've heard from Ben ..... but the 9th is looking good folks :wink

Best wishes
Mike

PS: Will I set up a sub forum for the "Outcasts", or "Casting" maybe?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com